Sign in to follow this  
NotASenator

Texture confusion

I'm more then a bit confused about the textures in FSX.There is a "Global" texture setting which as the text "explains" in the lowerleft corner of the setting, are "global textures".Then there are Mesh settings which, as the text reveals, are Mesh setting details.You als have Mesh resolution which deals with the Mesh resolution if i'm correct.And then you have the a setting called "Texture Resolution" which should deal with the texture resolution if i can believe the help text.But to cut the crap, can someone explain what texture is what and what it is used for (presuming that the aircraft textures are those on the aircraft)?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

>I'm more then a bit confused about the textures in FSX.>>There is a "Global" texture setting which as the text>"explains" in the lowerleft corner of the setting, are "global>textures".>>Then there are Mesh settings which, as the text reveals, are>Mesh setting details.>>You als have Mesh resolution which deals with the Mesh>resolution if i'm correct.>>And then you have the a setting called "Texture Resolution">which should deal with the texture resolution if i can believe>the help text.>>But to cut the crap, can someone explain what texture is what>and what it is used for (presuming that the aircraft textures>are those on the aircraft)?This is what I understand of it, but I could be wrong:- Global texture resolution refers to all things in the sim, aircraft, buildings, virtual cockpits, ground vehicles, etc. Setting this too high could cause too much video memory to be bogged down with higher res textures.- I've always assumed that Mesh Complexity referred to total number of vertexes used to build the terrain mesh.- Mesh resolution refers more to the precision of the terrain mesh, in how far apart elevation points are. If I understand it correctly, 38m means one elevation point every 38m of terrain. The higher this slider is (meaning a lower number), the better looking and more accurate the terrain is, because it has a higher frequency of data points to pull from. Of course, this means more data to process and more adjusting of the terrain mesh to match this data correctly.- Texture resolution on the scenery tab refers to the resolution specifically of the terrain textures. As opposed to just a Big/Small comparison like on global texture res, this is closer to mesh resolution where it displays the accuracy of the texture in regards to how precise it is. 1m resolution would refer to 1m per pixel of texture resolution. The shorter the distance between pixels means more detail. Obviously, higher res textures means higher system requirements to process, load and store in memory.-