Sign in to follow this  
PhilTaylor

FSX SP1:Intel news

Guest weeniemcween

I second that.Those benchmarks mean absolutely nothing, again because fsx is cpu not gpu bound. You will notice an improvement if you are running a radeon 9800 or geforce 6800 for instance and then move up to a better card and higher res, but if you have a recent gpu it is underused. I have an 8800 and I also don't see any performance drop when switching to higher resolution. Even more telling is that, besides having anisotropic and antialiasing up above where I would normally, I can also enable transparency supersampling but still get no performance hit. If I were to do that with oblivion, which is very gpu and somewhat cpu intensive, then I would lose around 10fps. So the benefit of a good graphics card and fsx is better overall image quality, not so much frame rate. The reason mid to max 2x water and bloom take such a big hit is because the cpu is being slapped by the api calls: enter directx 10. On a side note, a highly recommend to enable supersampling in fsx if you can because the vc gauges become clearer, with smoother edges, particularly on lighter panel backgrounds, such as that of the carenado stationair.

Guest robains

TDU has some serious issues that I sorta expected from a port. Wasn't really expecting much from it either.I did switch to lower resolutions and did notice a big improvement (like 20X improvement) -- but for them to blame nVidia and say "we'll wait for nVidia to fix it" is silly.Audio was horrible in TDU, the Lotus sounded like something from a 1980's game. If you compare this to Need for Speed Underground that is light years again in graphics and audio and runs as smooth as silk on my gaming PC. Driving physics were terrible also -- but again I didn't expect GTR2 level of physics or Papyrus type physics.If you like racing simulations, get on these guy's Beta http://www.iRacing.com -- David Kaemmer is Papyrus fame. Regardless you think 1.2 meter resolution is good for FSX, these folks are doing 1 inch resolution.Rob.

On my machine tdu graphics are truly phenomenal. With HDR and all settings maxed it is amazing. I have all those nfs games and while they are good they are not as good as tdu and unlike tdu they dont offer triplehead WS support which bothers me to no end. Sound is a bit tinny but overall i love tdu. Their activation on the digital download is the only fault i can find with the game. Hop on a triumph motorcyle and watch the road as you go by and it looks photoreal to me. Its the only game i have ever played that looks photo real at high speed. Maybe you need a triplehead to truly enjoy it. I just think its so cool that you can literally drive all over the island at will and race people at will online. Ill check that beta out. Thanks for the heads up.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup