Sign in to follow this  
PhilTaylor

FSX SP1:Intel news

I just blogged about the Intel PR and provided a bit more detail on what it means here http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...ntel-quote.aspxThis collects and consolidates the information I have replied to several threads with as well as provides a bit of specific details as to what our multi-core support really means.

Thanks PhilVery good news .. patiently waiting .. the efforts from the ACES team appreciated."I can see an upgrade coming this end .. but will wait for SP1 to see how things work out .."RegardsRobert-------------------------------------Asus A8N-VMAMD Athlon 64 3000+XFX Nvidia Geforce 6800 XT PCI-E [256]2Gb DDR400 RAMCH products Yoke and USB Pedals

Intel i7 - 9700K @ 3.60 GHz   |   Asus RTX 3080  |  32 GB RAM  |  Saitek ProFlight Yoke System and Rudder Pedals | X-Touch Mini | Honeycomb Bravo TQ

Guest MauiHawk

Thanks for the news.Does the 20% estimate apply to dual-core specifically, or will dual core be above and beyond 20%?

20% regardless of number of cores. And I am being purposely conservative here.

Can anyone give an idea about how long it might take after a service pack release for updated/patched retail versions of FSX to begin hitting the store shelves?Thanks.Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.800 FSB/2MB L22 GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 6.10's6x AA/16x HQ A/FDiamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530'sDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals

Regards, Kendall

Well then, looks like it's time to make a purchase and prepare for a downlowd. Thanks again to Phil and the other members of Aces for taking the time to keep us well informed.Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.800 FSB/2MB L22 GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 6.10's6x AA/16x HQ A/FDiamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530'sDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals

Regards, Kendall

This is great news indeed. I might have to break into my 6 month old unopened FSX box and do the deed after investing in a new machine. I have no problem with that, if I have something that works reasonably well for the new money invested. I suppose I would go all the way, which comes in at about $2900 with the new quad-core processor 6800, DX-10/648, 2 gigs, and Vista Premium, plus a good array of other add-ons. (I just priced it out.)But I am going to wait for the pudding first. That's where they say the proof is, if I remember right.Bob (Las Cruces, NM)

That is fair.Even if we run into Beta2 issues, we arent that far out that waiting a while should kill anyone.Really :-)

Will this new SP1 take advantage of high end video cards by taking the load from the CPU and allowing the GPU to do its thing?? Or is there some special instructions that must be issued telling the CPU to of load choirs to the GPU??Bill M

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

Some of the optimizations in SP1 include reducing the Draw and SetTexture cards. We were issuing way too many Draw and SetTexture calls, SP1 is close to a 40% reduction in both.So yes, taking those optimizations is aimed at enabling the app to scale better on GPUs.

Phil! This is great news!! I have been one of the lucky ones, that with my configuration I been able to get a (I won't say great, because I'm able to get double with FS9) decent quality to performance ratio, at least with non complex aircraft. The only example of a high detailed model from FS9, which in that sim, was comparative in performance to a PMDG or LDS detailed aircraft is the Captain Sim 757. In FSX it cuts performance pretty much in half! So my question is this, realizing your reluctance to commit past the 20 percent performance boost target you mentioned (Stating that was a conservative estimate is an encouraging sign), do you now feel confident, with at least a high end system and video card, that FSX will now have the much needed headroom in performance to support PMDG, LDS, or CS level of detail?Thank You

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest rapsta

Very good news. Hope SP will be out end of the month. But further testing is much better than a buggy SP ;-) You

Hi Phil,Thanks for the good news.My system achieves fairly good frame rates with good settings and tweaks. My challenge is rather stuttering of FSX in irregular intervals. When it happens the frame rate drops from locked 30 fps to 5 or 10 FPS for a short period of time.You informed that you address the stutter as well. How is the progress here?

Best regards from RelaxX

Guest GA Flyer

"Aces Studio participated with a quote about our improved multi-core support in SP1"From what I get, this is all new territory for developers (making apps that support multi-core). I'm very glad to see ACEs being part of this new technology and in a way leading it! I'm also very happy after reading your blog Phil. Very promising! Not only for FSX but the future.My only comment is that I hope ACEs can in some way work with (a workshop?) addon developers to assist them in how they too can develop multi-core apps so that they whole community benefits.Thanks for keeping us informed.