Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

VATSIM, IVAO, POSCON, PilotEdge

I've been reading several threads on the state of online ATC in the sim world and I sit back thinking that something needs to be done.  We have four networks and the overall coverage is weak.  PilotEdge, in the western US, has the only predictable coverage.  One thing the threads talk about is morale, which by reports, is pretty bad.  Also, rules which seem to be political.  Honestly, it all seems like a mess.  If POSCON has done anything it's bringing this to the point where people are paying attention.  A lot of folks want to fly online with ATC.  If I had my choice, I'd fly with ATC the time and I would...if it was available.  I think we need to talk about this.  There are some things that can be done.  It doesn't have to be this way.

• Microsoft and/or other big players could join in and help.  They could start pushing the agenda to get the networks to clean up, work better with their own controllers and each other or lose their support.
  • A network would have to work within rules established by the community and Microsoft, etc. or they won't be supported.
  • Elections of leadership within the networks should be open to the controllers, forcing out folks that are making things harder than they need to be. 
  • Pair down rules that make it hard to become a controller and help them.  Simplify transfers.  These are volunteers and some of them are quite amazing at what they do!
  • Encourage pilots to use the network. 
  • Establish forums for Online ATC outside of the networks.

It's as hard as getting Microsoft, X-Plane, P3D and others to pay attention.  They can break through the toxicity and force change.  I expect to hear a lot of reasons why it can't be done but, I think it can.  If the right people engage, I firmly believe it can. 

I look forward to hearing from others including some controllers.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I serve as an advisor to POSCON, and I track the progress carefully.  POSCON is funded by one person, the owner, who is a seasoned pilot with a major US carrier.  His income took a hit during the first year of COVID and so it follows that development also took a hit.  We spoke for an hour yesterday, and the network is planning a series of terrific events in January to get the word out about the network. He tells me there are plenty of controllers, but being a new network, they don't log in when there aren't pilots.  It's a chicken or the egg thing, although I have some ideas how to kick things off.

POSCON offers numerous things which other networks are not able to do with their software, so my money is on POSCON long term, but the community itself will have to play a role in it's success.

Best wishes my friend!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I'm wondering if very few people fly with online ATC (a shame, but I get it...it's hard to find controllers where you want to fly when you want to fly) or if they just think the problems are unsolvable.  

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM