Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Z690 boards catching fire.

6 hours ago, 6297J said:

You won't regret it, great board. 

Yep, I'm looking forward to its arrival. And yes, the first think I'll be doing is checking out that capacitor to makes sure its a not backwards. 😁

And tomorrow, I'll be disassembling my "built the other day" PC that hasn't even got Windows installed yet and boxing the board, RAM and CPU ready for sale on eBay. 

Do you have the board? If so, how does the anti-sag bracket included work? Does it act as a prop beneath the card? I already have a graphics card support that came with the Phanteks Evolv X that works reasonably well (not perfect) so may or may not use it. 

Edited by martin-w

11 hours ago, martin-w said:

Do you have the board? If so, how does the anti-sag bracket included work? Does it act as a prop beneath the card? I already have a graphics card support that came with the Phanteks Evolv X that works reasonably well (not perfect) so may or may not use it. 

I do. Not had it long but liking it so far. I haven't used the bracket but like you, already have one which is probably better. 

7 hours ago, 6297J said:

I do. Not had it long but liking it so far. I haven't used the bracket but like you, already have one which is probably better. 

Did you check the capacitor on your board to make sure its not backwards? Reject the board if it is, send it back to Asus. 

8 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Did you check the capacitor on your board to make sure its not backwards? Reject the board if it is, send it back to Asus. 

Of course. It's supposed to be a subtle shade of smouldering orange right? 🙂

In reality the number of boards that were affected was very small and it was dealt with pretty quickly. You'd have to be very unlucky to have one. 

47 minutes ago, 6297J said:

Of course. It's supposed to be a subtle shade of smouldering orange right? 🙂

In reality the number of boards that were affected was very small and it was dealt with pretty quickly. You'd have to be very unlucky to have one. 

😁 That's right, quite normal to see molten capacitators on the board and yellow flames.

Seems it was small numbers yes. Looks like somebody loaded the capacitors the wrong way around in one of the automated machines cassettes. The question is how many capacitors in a cassette? Could be hundreds for all we know. Hopefully not. Not possible to know how many are in the wild, although Asus will probably know. Doubt they would be truthful if it was a multitude. 

To our valued ASUS Customers,

ASUS is committed to producing the highest quality products and we take every incident report from our valued customers very seriously. We have recently received incident reports regarding the ROG Maximus Z690 Hero motherboard. In our ongoing investigation, we have preliminarily identified a potential reversed memory capacitor issue in the production process from one of the production lines that may cause debug error code 53, no post, or motherboard components damage. The issue potentially affects units manufactured in 2021 with the part number 90MB18E0-MVAAY0 and serial number starting with MA, MB, or MC.

You can identify your part number by referring to the product packaging: Please reference the attached image
As of December 28, 2021, there have been a few incidents reported in North America. Going forward, we are continuing our thorough inspection with our suppliers and customers to identify all possible affected ROG Maximus Z690 Hero motherboards in the market and will be working with relevant government agencies on a replacement program.
Thank you so much to everyone for your patience and support while we are working through the replacement program.

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact ASUS customer service.

Contact options

ASUS Support Website - https://www.asus.com/us/support/

ASUS Online Chat - https://icr-am.asus.com/webchat/icr.html...

ASUS MyASUS App - You can use via Windows or Android or iOS
https://www.asus.com/us/support/MyASUS-deeplink/

Best regards,
The ASUS Team

Edited by martin-w

They are still my number one choice for MB's. I think I've had every Hero since the VII.

Edited by 6297J

1 hour ago, 6297J said:

They are still my number one choice for MB's. I think I've had every Hero since the VII.

Same.  I elected to go with a DDR4 build this time around for a multitude of reasons.  So unfortunately that meant I had to get something else.  Been very happy with the Strix Z690.  Only thing missing is the Q Code.  But not a deal killer. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Yep, same for me. Many years ago I had a Gigabyte board, but every single board since has been Asus. I like the UEFI layout, the features on the board and I like the software.