Sign in to follow this  
737_800

What would happen when I upgrade to 4K?

I am using a i9-10850k and RTX 3090. What would happen when I upgrade from 24" 1080p to 32" 4K in regard to temperatures? Right now I have average CPU temps in MSFS about 55-60°C and GPU reaching about 90°C. Would it make sense to upgrade in regard to temps?

I have a feeling that my temps could reach the 100°C mark or even more. And even that is too hot for me, since the noise all the heat creates.

My system's CPU is a rung below yours and my GPU perhaps two rungs below (3070ti) and my system is breezing along with a 28" 4K.  Breezing along like I have a tailwind!  I have not checked my temps in over 90 days.  It was a non-issue and detracting from the continuity of my flying.....  So I am now happily chasing clouds to my destinations instead of chasing specs, unlocked frame rates, and temps. 

My #1 criteria when I build a system is finding a case with stellar airflow and tuning the placement of fans, the CPU cooler, and the direction(s) of airflow.  Then I turn to choosing a MOB, CPU, and GPU.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

The first thing you need to do is get those temps in check, by default I think a 3090 will throttle itself at 85C, I'm at work so I can't check right now so I could be wrong on that, but either way I would add some fans if possible. If not I would look into swapping hardware into another case that has better airflow. These cards with high graphic settings draw a huge amount of wattage and the single fans in and out just don't cut it, you need multiple fans for intake just to feed the 3090 with cooler air. As an example I have dual 120's and dual 140's just for my intake. 

Once that issue is resolved you will very much enjoy the larger screen for flight sim or daily tasks. But yeah going 4k resolution is no problem for a 3090 with the huge Vram on board. Go for it.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+