Sign in to follow this  
Guest abulaafia

AI TRAFFIC

I think that FSX built-in AI is re-generated each time it is run. I have replaced many of the built-in airlines aircrafts with real-world airlines and that works just fine.My question is. To generate the AI, does FSX read through SPECIFIC folders to build the new AI TRAFFIC? Does anybody know the pattern that FSX follows?Thanks.Abe

AI traffic is moving scenery.The necessary elements include:Aircraft - purpose built AI models are best because they are designed to minimize the amount of computer resources necessary to display themTraffic Files - these are the times, places and routes the AI fly - they are in the SceneryWorldScenery folder by default - but they can be in any active scenery folderAirport Parking - AI aircraft must have places to park, otherwise FS runs through a significant number of cycles trying to park the plane. Lack of parking is a major cause of stutters in FS.AI traffic is divided into two groups based upon an entry in the aircraft.cfg fileThe line in the fltsim.x sectionatc_airline=determines if the aircraft is airline or GA traffic. Any entry after the = sign and the aircraft is airline, no entry or no line - the aircraft is GA.In the default FSX the Cessna Caravans are airline traffic.There are two ways to generate the traffic.bgl files which FS uses to create AI traffic - Microsoft Traffic Database Builder and Traffic Tools.TDBB is in the FSX Deluxe SDK, TTools is a FS2002 program updated to work with FS2004.Traffic file created by the two are not fully compatible and AI traffic generated with TTools forces TDBB traffic to not be used if they are on the same airport.There are tools being developed to make TTools format source files more compatible with FSX than files compiled directly with TTools itself.These two tutorials are old, but the basics still apply.http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/ai4beg.htmhttp://www.john-goodwin.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/page4frame.htmlAlso there is a section of these forums dedicated to AI traffic flight plans - look for the TTools for MSFS Forum.

Thanks Reggie.I have my own custom made AI TRAFFIC files. But what I want to do is modify the FSX AI native files. I succeeded by changing the 737's and 747's by replacing them with real-world ones.Since NEW AI is generated everytime FSX is activated, and since obviously it is going through the 737 and 747 folders and picking up the newly added aircrafts, can I modify the aircrafts residing in other folders folders?Thanks.Abe

The title= line in the aircraft.cfg is coded into the traffic file.That is how FS finds the aircraft to use for a particular schedule.I frequently substitute the title= line when testing new aircraft / repaints. i.e using an American Airlines MD-8x title= line for a different airline aircraft / model to see how the different repaint looks - because there will be a lot of AAL aircraft at KDFW.I change the AAL MD-8x title by adding - Temp at the endand copy the title line into the fltsim.x section of the aircraft I want to test. I just have to remember to undo the change later.But you should keep any substitutions close to the same type aircraft and size aircraft, especially if you want to make it permanent.The default Traffic file uses the following default aircraft titles:Airbus A321 Paint2Airbus A321 Paint4Airbus A321 Paint5Beech Baron 58 Paint1Beech Baron 58 Paint2Beech Baron 58 Paint3Beech King Air 350 Paint1Beech King Air 350 Paint2Beech King Air 350 Paint3Boeing 737-800 Paint2Boeing 737-800 Paint4Boeing 737-800 Paint5Boeing 747-400Boeing 747-400 Paint2Boeing 747-400 Paint4Boeing 747-400 Paint5Boeing 747-400 Paint8Bombardier CRJ 700 Paint1Bombardier CRJ 700 Paint2Cessna Grand CaravanCessna Grand Caravan Paint1Cessna Grand Caravan Paint2Cessna Grand Caravan Paint3Cessna Skyhawk 172SPCessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint1Cessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint2Cessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint3Cessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint4de Havilland Dash 8-100 Paint1de Havilland Dash 8-100 Paint2Learjet 45Learjet 45 Limited EditionMaule M7 260C paint1Maule M7 260C paint4McDonnell-Douglas/Boeing MD-83McDonnell-Douglas/Boeing MD-83 Paint1McDonnell-Douglas/Boeing MD-83 Paint2Mooney BravoMooney Bravo RetroPiper Cherokee 180Piper Cherokee 180 Paint1Piper Cherokee 180 Paint2

Thanks Reggie. That's a BIG HELP. I'll give it a GO.Abe

Reggie one more question.Does it mean that I can only use 4 aircrafts in the 747-400 folder?Boeing 747-400Boeing 747-400 Paint2Boeing 747-400 Paint4Boeing 747-400 Paint5Boeing 747-400 Paint8Or is there an additional trick up your sleeve.Thansks.Abe

Those are the titles used in the default trafficAircraft.bgl.If you want to create your own traffic files, you can use any titles you want.You will need the FSX Deluxe TrafficDatabaseBuilder program if you want to complete fully FSX compatible traffic files.You can use Traffic Tools which is a bit easier to learn, but you will need to replace all FSX traffic with TTools traffic files.

Like I mentioned before, Reggie. I have my own personal Ai Traffic. I am just trying to tinker with the existant FSX AI Traffic. Trying to replace the fictitious Airlines with REAL World Airlines.Abe

Those are the only 5 B747's used in the default traffic - and two of them are cargo aircraft.The list of aircraft used is a bit misleading because it was designed to populate airports based on the default parking.The actual setup file repeats several aircraft and has the following proportions (I'll just list the airline traffic):8 - A32112 - B7383 - B747 (pax)2 - B747 (cargo)8 - CRJ6 - C208 Caravan8 - Dash 8-1006 - MD-83As you can see, the number of heavy aircraft, and heavy gates, is a very small part of the overall traffic plan - about 10% of the traffic.While this might be representative of most airports, at the few major international destinations - heavy aircraft and heavy parking are woefully under represented.

>Like I mentioned before, Reggie. I have my own personal Ai>Traffic. I am just trying to tinker with the existant FSX AI>Traffic. Trying to replace the fictitious Airlines with REAL>World Airlines.>>AbeIf you haven't done this already, then simplydownload real-world repaints of the default aircraft.Replace the default aircrafts "aircraft.cfg" entries withthe repaints entry data, leaving the "flightsimxx" and "title=" lines from the original entries alone. You will then have real-world traffic without having to dealwith any other tools, unless you want real-world schedule approximationsas well. Then you need to build your own traffic files.Here's an excerpt from my default b747-400 aircraft.cfg filewhere I replaced the "World Travel" airlines with a Unitedrepaint.[fltsim.1] <----original entrytitle=Boeing 747-400 Paint2 <----original entrysim=Boeing747-400 <----original entrymodel=panel=sound=texture=Unit-1kb_checklists=Boeing747-400_checkkb_reference=Boeing747-400_refatc_id=N180UAatc_airline=Unitedatc_flight_number=402atc_heavy=1ui_manufacturer="Boeing"ui_type="747-400"ui_variation="United-1"//texture=2 <----original entries commented out//kb_checklists=Boeing747-400_check//kb_reference=Boeing747-400_ref//atc_id=N747I//atc_airline=World Travel//atc_flight_number=1123//atc_heavy=1//ui_manufacturer="Boeing"//ui_type="747-400"//ui_variation="World Travel Airlines"ui_typerole="Commercial Airliner"ui_createdby="Microsoft Corporation"atc_parking_types=GATE Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Thanks Reggie and Paul.I already have downloaded repaints of many 747's and 737's and I have implemented some of them whenever possible in the original folders of FSX and I have got very good results. I am going to expand on that by following your suggestions.By the way, concerning my own personal TRAFFIC, what I had done was, after putting my own traffic.bgl's in FSX, I added these 2 lines in FSX.cfgSimObjectPaths.6=AIRCRAFTSimObjectPaths.7=F:FS2004AIRCRAFTand that did the trick. I did not have to transfer any of the used aircrafts to FSX.I am going to work on the suggestions that you both mentioned to enhance the basic FSX traffic which I think is reasonably good.By the way, thank you again, and I am always open for suggestions.Abe

Guest abulaafia

>By the way, thank you again, and I am always open for>suggestions.www.world-of-ai.com