Sign in to follow this  
ESzczesniak

Poor Wifi Download Speeds - Appears Router Dependent

I am not a very good network guy.  My setup in brief...our house is covered by 2 different routers, as the signal from one starts to fade at the other end of the house.  One is a Comcast router where the cable comes in to our house in the basement, and the other is hardwire connected Lynksys router on nearly the other side of the house on the main floor.  My flight sim room is in the basement, but on the opposite end of the router down there.  This is about 40 feet away through 2 walls.  It gives a weak 2 of 3 bars of signal (i.e., sometimes is just one).  The router on the main floor is about 15 feet away, but through a floor and a wall.  This has a steady 3 of 3 bars of signal.

If I connect to the basement router with weaker signal, I can usually download at 45-55 Mb/s.  The problem with this router is the signal will drop at times.  If I connect to the upstairs router I can download at 1-2 Mb/s.  I just built a new PC, and while setting this up, I did have PC on our main floor...so about 25 feet away, through a cabinet only.  This would download at 120-130 Mb/s.  

I am running Wifi through an Asus Z690-E MB with connected antenna.

So I'm confused.  It would seem signal strength shouldn't be an issue since the slower modem reports a stronger signal in Windows.  I would like to use this as the more reliable connection (it doesn't drop due to signal), but it is very slow.  Both are dual band 2.4/5GHz.  They're both set to "combined" bands so they show up as only one newtwork each.  Any suggestions to getting this to work better?  

Because of the differences in location, I would suspect signal strength.  But Windows doesn't report any strength issues.  So I feel at a loss.

Eric Szczesniak

You may want to use a dedicated WIFI signal strength tester -- see https://www.techadvisor.com/how-to/network-wifi/check-wi-fi-signal-strength-3803538/ for what software to use. You may be having interference from appliances or other WIFI signals which the software can identify. As far as the dual bands go, while 5 Ghz is faster, the coverage area is smaller than 2.4 Ghz. If you have a laptop and want to check the signal strength, let me know and I will look on my laptop to see which I have installed. All are freeware.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.