Sign in to follow this  
Peterwk

Radar Contact Refuses to run

Hi,

I've been using Radar Contact for many years without any issues.  However, I just tried to run it and after the usual "Do you want to allow this app .... " message nothing happens. There's no evidence that the program has started to run.

May I ask if anyone else has had this problem and if so, how did you fix it?

Best regards,

Peter Keenan

Peter,

What OS? What simulator? What has changed since it last worked?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

I use FS9 with Windows 10.

The only thing that I have changed since I last used it is my virus protection program to Norton (which I've just uninstalled to see if that fixed the problem - it didn't).

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Norton is notorious for interfering with flight sim etc. If Norton is the only change then it has to be responsible.

Look in Event Viewer. Anything there to provide a clue?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

Radar Contact didn't show up.

I'll re-install it and see how it goes.

I think that Norton has messed up some other files including FSNavigator, Level-D 767 and QW 757.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter. If those aren’t working then it’s definitely Norton. Consider whether it is worth keeping.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

I've uninstalled Norton.

I just re-installed Radar Contact, clicked the application icon and nothing happens.

Best regards,

Peter

Peter, are you running it with Admin privileges?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

Yes, I'm running it with Admin privileges.

It seems that Norton has corrupted some registers elsewhere because I get the same thing happen when I try to uninstall my Level-D 767 by running the downloaded exe that contains the 767 (the one I purchased from with the red-plane icon), i.e. I click the icon and nothing happens.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

If you trust yourself not to open dubious emails and use common sense when trawling the Internet then I really would consider dumping Norton. Completely uninstall it. For it to have damaged system files to the extent where you cannot open trusted executables is inexcusable.

If you have made a backup before all these problems started consider restoring from it. The supplied tools that come with Windows 10/11 are adequate for the vast majority of users. Good luck.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

I've dumped Norton.

I'll struggle on with FS9 without these addons.  Ultimately, Ill be only running MSFS when all of my FS9 aircraft are available.

Thank you for your support.

I remember your name way back in the days when FS9 was the flight simulator!

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

You're losing a lot to move to MSFS. I hope you enjoy it. It’s unlikely RC will ever be compatible with it.

I’m the last man standing from the original team providing support.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather