Sign in to follow this  
Waldo Pepper

Key West / NeoFly / Various Water Masks

I decided to start another NeoFly career, and decided that Key West would be my new area.   That allows me fly the Florida Keys,  the Everglades,  to Tampa /Miami / Daytona,  hop to Cuba - fly from Cuba to Central America,   hop to the Caribbean - island hop from Caribbean to South America.

I already own FSDT's Key West,  which is awesome.   AIG Traffic has American Airlines working in and out of there,  which is cool.    A fair amount of corporate traffic too. 

Bijan with his "Islands and Boats" has done some work to spice up the Key West marinas,  and some work on the Everglades.   

I picked up SkyDesigner's Naval Air Station KNQX,  which is right next to KEYW.

Puffin's We Love VFR added the radio / cellphone / tv / power line towers,  and the TARS station which is NW of FD51.

Then I found MisterCoffee's water masks,  which make the coastlines look very nice.

So I spent the beginning of my career putting around in my Aviat A-1C Float plane,  doing water rescues at dusk and dawn.   Flying from the darkness into the light,  and vice-versa.   I have to say it was pretty relaxing,  getting the feel of what it would be like to live in that area with an aircraft.  Seeing the lights of the coastline fade away / fade into view,  as I plucked people from the ocean.     All the mods really come together into a nice overall package.     Left Key West to perform a rescue with live weather on.   After the rescue I did a slight detour to fly over Bijan's Everglades.   That's when the weather changed,  the clouds rolled in,  winds picked up,  and the ceiling dropped to 2k.   Whitecaps just forming on the seas.  

So that's where I'm at now.   Flying search and rescues,  moving cargo,  VIP's,  banner towing,  and dropping parachutists.  

Anyway,  I'm done rambling for now.   Mostly came here to post some links to Coffee's water masks,   they are quite nice imo.  😁

https://flightsim.to/file/24022/water-fix-florida-keys-florida-usa

https://flightsim.to/discover/Water fix

Please see my total list of scenery mods below by region:

California:

Water fix – Orange County, California, USA (ocwaterfix)

Water fix – Los Angeles County, California, USA (lawaterfix)

Water fix – San Diego County, California, USA (sdwaterfix)

Water fix – Ventura County, California, USA (vcwaterfix)

Water fix – Santa Barbara County, California, USA (sbwaterfix)

Water fix – Santa Cruz County, California, USA (scwaterfix)

Water fix – Monterey County, California, USA (mocwaterfix)

Water fix – San Francisco County, California, USA (sfwaterfix)

Water fix – San Mateo County, California, USA (smwaterfix)

Water fix – Alameda County, California, USA (acwaterfix)

Water fix - Marin County, Sonoma County, Napa County, California, USA (mcwaterfix)

Oregon:

Water fix - Portland, Oregon, USA (portorwaterfix)

Massachusetts:

Water fix – Suffolk County, Massachusetts, USA (sufcmawaterfix)

New York:

Water fix – New York City, New York, USA (nycnywaterfix)

New Jersey:

Water fix – Atlantic County and Cape May County, New Jersey, USA (atlcnjwaterfix)

Pennsylvania:

Water fix – Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, USA (phcpawaterfix)

Maryland:

Water fix – Baltimore County, Maryland, USA (baltcmdwaterfix)

District of Columbia:

Water fix – Washington D.C., USA (washdcwaterfix)

Florida:

Water fix – Florida Keys, Florida, USA (keysflwaterfix)

Water fix – Miami-Dade County, Florida, USA (miadcflwaterfix)

Water fix - Tampa/Hillsborough County, Florida, USA (tampflwaterfix)

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Just finished another flight along the Keys.  Man,  I have to say that those water masks really make a huge difference.    The coastlines now blend with the seas.   You don't see an abrupt transition line at the shore line now,  the waves look more natural and you can see the seabed under the waves along the coast line.   You can see the sand bars that were obscured in many areas.     It's very subtle,  yet makes a huge difference.    He also restored the 3d bridge objects like 7 mile bridge which where sunken.     At night the lighting along the shore and along bridges looks more natural because you see the seabed illuminated too.   All the 2d boat docks and boats that were submerged aren't now,  and they look decent with a little altitude.     I noticed that MisterCoffee liked this thread yesterday,  and I just wanted to pay some respects.  Very nice work,  man!

I also decided to buy the Southeast US Birds from the marketplace.   When I spawned at KEYW,    there was a flock of animated pigeons graving off my left wing.  I noticed a flock of birds fly past me on the taxiway.  When I was flying along the coast admiring the water masks,  I kept flying over flocks of various sea birds like gulls as I flew along.    Very subtle,  but cool.   I've always like birds ever since I was a kid.

I was doing one of NeoFly's Search and Rescue missions,   and the rescue was a sunken boat with two people in a life raft.   They were so small compared to the vast sea,  and when you get in the search area NF starts playing an ELT beacon.   You have to fly a SAR pattern and listen for the beacon tones to increase in frequency.   When you get close enough the boaters pop orange smoke.   Even then you have to keep a sharp eye out to find them.    I find it really fun along the keys.    Live weather gave me 6 foot seas and white caps today,  which was fun in the Husky.    I flew a few SARs in the Grumman Goose,   and was pretty serene flying without gps.

Edited by Waldo Pepper
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for sharing!  I'm using NeoFly to determine destination hops on my RTW flight and am currently working my way North through the Caribbean, just arrived at St. Maarten.  It's really interesting to see all these iconic places like St. Bart's, Saba etc. and the many online pilots flying around there in multiplayer, after circumnavigating the entire coastline of South America, after starting in Vancouver B.C, heading south down the West Coast USA to Mexico, through Central America south down through Peru, Chile and to Antarctica, then North up the east coast, Argentina, Brazil and over to Venezuela, where you basically see the odd AI aircraft and that's about it. 

Looking forward to going through Cuba and then to the Keys and up the East Coast USA. Thanks again for the tips on addons!

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

Posted (edited)

That's an awesome trip you've done so far.   That's what I want to do,  make my way south through the Islands and visit all the strange little airports that I would never have thought of.    Doing emergency and sar missions along the way takes me to areas of the environment far away from airports.   

I just added the Staggerwing to NF,  I'm going to use it for VIP transport.   Also need to fly the NF class D check ride so I can use the Hype H145 float version.

Edited by Waldo Pepper

Posted (edited)

Yeah it's been a gas.  I'm basically just doing anything between Bush flights to Medium range Hops using prop and turboprop aircraft (the PMDG-DC6 helped out a great deal in the Andes!), and decided rather than fly in one area, I'd go cross country into new territory and see how far things would take me.  My RTW trip actually started in D.C. and I flew across the USA, but my NeoFly career began in the Pacific Northwest with the C152.  Now it's thousand of miles and about $43M later thanks to a hard working crew of AI pilots flying a fleet of Mooneys and King Airs to raise funds for the CEO's wanderings.  When I get to a new destination I park my plane, buy a local small plane or helo and do VIP and other bush missions around the local airports to get the lay of the land and check things out, then sell it back to the local market and head out for new territory in my regular daily flyer a few days later.  The Milvis Porter, Kodiak and now the Twotter (with TSS sound mod) have been real favorites.  The Hype H145 was fantastic on some legs in southern Chile, except when I ran into icing conditions before they had added anti-ice capabilities. 

By coincidence I also bought the Staggerwing just today and think it will be great in NeoFly. it seems very stable for x-country with no AP.  I'm not yet ready to step away from the Twotter but maybe I'll pick up a nice well-loved D17S somewhere in Cuba.  They seem to take good care of their nice old American-made vehicles down there.  I also just reach "Senior Captain" so the Secret Passenger missions are now available, and it should be a good choice for that as well as VIP trips, to your point. 

The funnest part is that I don't let myself go fly at airports in areas that I haven't yet traveled to (or through).  So I have yet to see any of World Update scenery except for the USA.  Haven't done any flights in Japan, Europe, Australia or any of that yet.  It's all waiting down the road though!

SFgiWzu.gif

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!