Sign in to follow this  
jstnj

Any tips for managing templates? Seems unintuitive to me

MSFS user here.

Basically what I'm running into is that when I change to a different livery on any aircraft...I can't figure out why it applies a random old, unfinished profile to it. What I want is to apply the same template to an aircraft, and have no differences between liveries, but I can't figure out the logic, or how to turn off the auto-template feature.

Any guidance is welcome! thanks

You mean the cloned configuration? See chapter 3.4 in the AAO manual.

Templates are a separate mechanism that has been requested by users who wanted to manage things that way. Templates are not related to the automatic functionality of AAO, and unless you specifically want to use them, you don't have to.

AAO saves a configuration for each aircraft automatically, in the background, you don't have to "manage" that at all. When you load an aircraft the first time, and create controls for it, that will be the "master" configuration. When you load a mere livery of this aircraft, AAO will assume that you want to use the same controls, so it loads the master configuration as a "clone" (which is also noted in the title bar). If you want to create a separate configuration for the livery, just uncheck the "Loaded from master" checkbox in the title bar. If the master configuration is wrong, load the "master" plane that it has been created for and correct it. Then it will be correct for all liveries too.

On a side note, for me personally, the quickest way to use AAO is to not use the templates at all. If I am flying a completely new plane, I just assign a configuration that I already made using "Templates->Apply other config to this aircraft". Then I adjust this config, and because it has been duplicated for the new aircraft, and I can do whatever I want with it. 

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

10 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

You mean the cloned configuration? See chapter 3.4 in the AAO manual.

Templates are a separate mechanism that has been requested by users who wanted to manage things that way. Templates are not related to the automatic functionality of AAO, and unless you specifically want to use them, you don't have to.

AAO saves a configuration for each aircraft automatically, in the background, you don't have to "manage" that at all. When you load an aircraft the first time, and create controls for it, that will be the "master" configuration. When you load a mere livery of this aircraft, AAO will assume that you want to use the same controls, so it loads the master configuration as a "clone" (which is also noted in the title bar). If you want to create a separate configuration for the livery, just uncheck the "Loaded from master" checkbox in the title bar. If the master configuration is wrong, load the "master" plane that it has been created for and correct it. Then it will be correct for all liveries too.

On a side note, for me personally, the quickest way to use AAO is to not use the templates at all. If I am flying a completely new plane, I just assign a configuration that I already made using "Templates->Apply other config to this aircraft". Then I adjust this config, and because it has been duplicated for the new aircraft, and I can do whatever I want with it. 

Thanks Lorby. Yeah I typically do use "Apply template to this aircraft"-->Replace, but I couldn't quite understand the "master" template being repeatedly applied. I guess I will have to find which livery was the master (The first time I ran the aircraft is typically also before I made a full template). This all makes sense, I will just have to find the master template and "Apply template" to that one so that future new liveries dont get the unfinished template. Thank you!

The name of the liver that ais associates "master" configuration is in the red bar at the top where is says "Loaded from master: ...."

(name = title in the aircraft.cfg)

And just as a reminder, so you are not looking in the wrong place - all this has nothing whatsoever to do with the "Templates" feature.

Edited by Lorby_SI
  • Like 1

LORBY-SI