Sign in to follow this  
Iceking007

How does one create aircraft interior?

Hello, 

I'm curious if there's any information as to how to create aircraft interior (seats, benches, tables etc)?

I'm assuming this requires editing the .cfg file, and perhaps the air file or what ever else specified the area of the bitmap to use for textures; and then of course creating the textures themselves...

If someone is willing to assist me with gaining this knowledge I would appreciative it, but if you point me to where the information is I can muddle through on my own. 

Thank you. 

There's a lot more to it than "editing the .cfg file"!

The interior of an aircraft is incorporated in the visual model at design time (the .mdl file).

If you want to add an interior to an existing model you'll need a copy of the original design files, the software that those files were created with (be that FSDS, GMax or whatever), and an awful lot of practice ;)

If you can't get hold of the original source files you'll need to start from scratch … not impossible, but there's quite a steep learning curve … start with something simple and work up ;)

Then, of course, if you want it to "fly" accurately, you'll need to create/edit that aspect of it.

I've done a few "simple" aircraft, mostly for ai, so I've not bothered with interiors, and the results can be very satisfying … but don't expect to "knock something up" in a weekend ;)

Good luck :)

A good knowledge base is fsdeveloper. Go there and read, then read some more, then abit more…. Lol 

it takes dedication to find the time to build these things. 
get a hook on XML aswell, this will help. 

once you get the flow going anything is possible, and is all up to your imagination

and it can get addictive…. 😉

Luke Pype

I appreciate that, I was hoping I could just create some textures and make a few edits (similar to a repaint)... not sure if it's really worth it for me at this point to go through with all of that, perhaps in the future.

Thank you for the info!

p.s. I do see the interior textures (seats, pilot), however as stated those are most probably hard coded and defined in the cfg/air files.  Messing with them would probably yield undesirable effects.

15 hours ago, Iceking007 said:

p.s. I do see the interior textures (seats, pilot), however as stated those are most probably hard coded and defined in the cfg/air files.  Messing with them would probably yield undesirable effects.

If the physical features exist, you'll just need to browse through the textures pertaining to that aircraft, find the texture (or part of) that is used for that feature and edit it to suit.

For instance, in the default C182, the pilot's features are in c182_T.bmp but the cockpit details are in c182_c.bmp.

It's only if you're starting with a "feature-limited" aircraft, as might be if it was designed for ai, that you'll need the original source code to add features or change the shape of them.

Good luck :)

Edited by chris_eve
oversight