Sign in to follow this  
Fiorentoni

Dominic Designteam - Worth it?

They have published quite a lot airports especially in Asia. They are on sale right now over at SimMarket. The airports look good from the exterior, which is the most important for me. But that's only promo pics and videos, so... what's your experience with them? Are they good? Are they worth it for 30% off?

4 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

They have published quite a lot airports especially in Asia. They are on sale right now over at SimMarket. The airports look good from the exterior, which is the most important for me. But that's only promo pics and videos, so... what's your experience with them? Are they good? Are they worth it for 30% off?

Most of their airports are pretty decent. I would stay away from RJBB and RJGG as they are pretty subpar (and they both have much better freeware and payware versions now). The Vietnam airports are quite nice as is Lima and Gimpo. TBH, most of these airports probably won't get tackled by other 3rd party creators so you win some and you lose some. I think at 30% off they're mostly worth it! 

• Like 1

Former Child, Current Adult

Thank you, very thorough reasoning and very good recommendations.

31 minutes ago, liamp51 said:

Technobrain just released their version of RJBB which looks FAR better than Dominic Designteam's: https://secure.simmarket.com/technobrain-rjbb-kansai-intl-airport-msfs.phtml

And hopefully will perform better than the one from Dominic Designteam. This one gives me 25 fps on the 2D screen and something around 15 fps under the Reverb rendering it actually unusable.

I am afraid I'll buy the Technobrain version to retire RJBB Dominic Designteam.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I have their VVTS and VVNB and thought they were quite nice. I also have their RJBB. Like others, as soona s Technobrain's RJBB goes on sale, I ill not hesitate to get it and replace Dominic's version.

Recently I've looking at getting more of their airports, but I've been staring at the screenshots on Simmarket for many of their other airports, and unfortunately have come to find that a lot of them have some major deficiencies, some of them being talked about in the reviews. I was pretty stoked that they did Lima for example, but the columns that populate the lower half of the terminal are not right. They modeled perhaps 33-50% of the amount of columns that should be there. Apparently they also have some Brazilian advertisements and Australian airport signage in place of the *real* ones. So I have come away with the impression that Dominic Designteam makes airports that graphically look very nice at face value, but actually have some significant issues that, unfortunately, I'm not sure will ever get fixed. This has really but a damper on my enthusiasm for their stuff. I might still get their Chengdu and Lima, since I don't see those airports anywhere on the horizon, payware or freeware, but will probably the extent of what I buy from them.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Dominic Designteam's airports are at a level that I would define between mediocre and pretty bad. Their modeling is approximate, their texturing is so so, while the main terminals are barely decent most of their airports have buildings left with default autogen scattered around in the hope that people won't notice. They have elevated access roads that end abruptly very near the airport, and they don't do the slightest testing with AI.

They also don't do the proper research and lack in expertise. For instance, their Gimhae lacks the circling approach lights to runway 18R/L which is literally the unique/iconic element of the airport, basically making it a bit like Kai-Tak. Their trailer shows an airliner approaching 18R/L straight in, which is not done. There's mountains in the way and that's why the circling approach exists. 

Basically, avoid like the plague, pretty much like the other developer that does the same (make big airports way too fast to make them well, in the attempt to get "first"), Double T. You'd think they're the same people because their methods are very similar.

On 3/22/2022 at 9:14 PM, liamp51 said:

The Vietnam airports are quite nice as is Lima and Gimpo.

Speaking of Double T, they're the one that made Gimpo. It's another airport to be avoided like the plague. Luckily Asian Airports has finally jumped on MSFS and finally ported their Gimpo, which is so, so much better. The pictures actually don't do it justice. 

Edited by Abriael

spacer.png

News Editor at Techraptor, previously at Twinfinite.

spacer.png