Sign in to follow this  
knich

Clarification: Real Only in Learner

If I check "Real Only" in Learner, does that mean it will only learn real airlines?  

It is a little confusing based on the soft learning section of the manual.

It is exactly the same as in PSXT. If you check Real it will only learn 'real' positions. Aircraft that start or end at a parking position are recorded only.

8 minutes ago, kiek said:

It is exactly the same as in PSXT. If you check Real it will only learn 'real' positions. Aircraft that start or end at a parking position are recorded only.

Let's say at KPHX only American Airlines occupies gates A1-30.  If I select real only would it only populate American planes at those gates?  And if I did not check real only would it populate let's say Qantas link?

11 minutes ago, knich said:

Let's say at KPHX only American Airlines occupies gates A1-30.  If I select real only would it only populate American planes at those gates?  And if I did not check real only would it populate let's say Qantas link?

In the learning mode PSXT only adds  information to the airport file of airlines that start a flight at a gate or end a flight at a gate (or more general: parking position).

For your A1-30 gates a KPHX that will be very likely American Airlines aircraft. But it does not populate gates, it only adds the info to the airport file.This info will be used as soon as static parked aircraft must be drawn,once in an hour, or when you start PSXT at KPHX, and you have a positive parking percentage set.

If real is not set every airline that comes near the (or land at or take-off from)  the airport, but does not start at a gate or end at a gate, may be added yo any parking position in the airport file with label real=false, so also a Quantas at your AA gates.

If you have ground traffic at your airport, you normally do not need soft. It is merely meant for airports without ground traffic.

Edited by kiek

2 minutes ago, kiek said:

In the learning mode PSXT only adds  information to the airport file of airlines that start a flight at a gate or end a flight at a gate (or more general: parking position).

For your A1-30 gates a KPHX that will be very likely American Airlines aircraft. But it does not populate gates, it only adds the info to the airport file.This info will be used as soon as static parked aircraft must be drawn,once in an hour, or when you start PSXT at KPHX, and you have a positive parking percentage set.

If real is not set every airline that comes near to the airport, but does start at a gate or end at a gate, may be added yo any parking position in the airport file with label real=false, so also a Quantas at your AA gates.

Ok...very helpful.. For learning purposes, what duration do you recommend if you are using the * to learn all your airports?

Difficult to say, it depends completely on the amount of traffic and at what hours you want to fly or observe...
Major airports such as KJFK, EGLL, KLAX give good results after say a run of 4 hours around the time you want to fly.

Note that version 31.0 has an option to let Learner learn your destination airport while you are flying to it.

35 minutes ago, kiek said:

Difficult to say, it depends completely on the amount of traffic and at what hours you want to fly or observe...
Major airports such as KJFK, EGLL, KLAX give good results after say a run of 4 hours around the time you want to fly.

Note that version 31.0 has an option to let Learner learn your destination airport while you are flying to it.

Yeah I saw that.  I try to keep the Learner running all the time, but of course there are many airports I have not learned.  So, this is a great addition!