Sign in to follow this  
airportdisco123

Sudden Reduction in Number of aircraft being learnt

I recently started to use the latest Beta Version of PSXT (RT 9.0.170, PSXT 31.1.0.2 and Learner 10.0.0).

The number of Aircraft displayed in the Traffic Stream live counter of the Learner application is very low now (Airport has been set as RJAA Drzwiecki Design) compared to before the update.

For context, during busy hours at RJAA, I would have about 15 or 16 aircraft live at once whereas now it is usually around 0 or 1. In addition to this, the number of real learning updates has drastically reduced compared to before the update.

Is there anything that I have to configure extra with the latest Beta versions?

P.S: I noticed that in the RealTraffic application, ground traffic at RJAA very rarely is detected when running the Learner application (I also think the same applies when running PSXT despite the option for ground traffic being enabled). It does seem to detect the traffic when it is airborne however.

Do you have Show GND Tfc set in RT?

I am noticing a similar issue. Appears to be the new data stream. I am getting almost no live ground traffic at all at a range of airports I would usually have it. I can confirm "Show GND TFC" is selected.

Is anyone else noticing this? I still never have any ground traffic since moving versions. Tried this now at over 5 airports that I usually use that would be full of ground movements before.

3 hours ago, christinney said:

Is anyone else noticing this? I still never have any ground traffic since moving versions. Tried this now at over 5 airports that I usually use that would be full of ground movements before.

Try EHAM, KJFK, EDDF, EGGL, ...they all have GND tfc.

or try FAQ  #10

I have notified Balthasar about RJAA, I saw a "hole" around the airport in the  RT traffic radar too.

Edited by kiek

I tried doing a full reinstall of both PSXT and RT. On running it at RJAA, I got ground traffic for approximately 1-2 mins and then it reduced back to only 1 live aircraft. Airborne aircraft seem to not be affected at all.

Additionally, I followed the steps prescribed in FAQ #10 to no effect.

I can confirm that this issue is occurring at multiple airports over different regions. So far RJAA, RJCC, VOBL, VIDP and VABB have all been exhibiting a severe lack of ground traffic when compared to other live flight services (difference of more than 7 planes). Ground coverage was much better before the latest update.

A notable exception seemed to be RJTT which displayed a substantial amount of traffic (there were still some planes missing, however).

6 hours ago, airportdisco123 said:

I can confirm that this issue is occurring at multiple airports over different regions. So far RJAA, RJCC, VOBL, VIDP and VABB have all been exhibiting a severe lack of ground traffic when compared to other live flight services (difference of more than 7 planes). Ground coverage was much better before the latest update.

Do you see that in PSXT or in Learner? I recommend you check it in PSXT, because the numbers of Learner can be confusing.

I saw it only while using the learner app now that you mention it. However, if it is an issue with the Learner application, what can we do to learn the parking positions of aircraft when we are not actively using PSXT?

39 minutes ago, airportdisco123 said:

I saw it only while using the learner app now that you mention it. However, if it is an issue with the Learner application, what can we do to learn the parking positions of aircraft when we are not actively using PSXT?

Learner works exactly the same as PSXT but the UI may be confusing for you. What counts is the results in the airport file

For a good observation whether you see less traffic or not I recommend you use PSXT, look at your airport, and post your findings. Note that a good free tool to see all the aircraft at the airport is LittleNavMap. Then you do not have to use a drone camera.

Edited by kiek

Hi All,

There is certainly an issue regarding ground traffic. I have used this product for approx 3 years so I am comfortable with what I would have normally experienced and usage.

I can confirm I have carried out the following whilst trying to troubleshoot:

- Full clean reinstall of both PSXT and Real Traffic Launcher

- FAQ #10 followed

- Used at multiple airports at differing times. All of these are ones I have flown too for several years with the same software with good, stable ground traffic.

Currently I am experiencing the following:

KCVG - No ground traffic/ Learning at all. Clearly visible on other providers such as FR24 and previously worked fine

VHHH - No ground traffic/ Learning at all. Same as KCVG, usually one of the best I had for ground traffic

EDDP - Approx 10-20% of actual ground traffic appears for a short period then disappears. Same as KCVG re history, no issues at all.

RKSI - Same as EDDP. A small amount of actual traffic appears, moves all over the place and not on the taxiways then just disappears

OBBI - No ground traffic/ Learning at all. Same as KCVG, always used to have perfect ground traffic ops. (used to use it alongside Live ATC)

All of this was carried out in PSXT not learner. I looked at the Real Traffic Map and nothing was showing on the ground. Aircraft would be on final then just before touchdown drop off both P3D and Real Traffic radar screen. On departure they would become visible when passing through about 1000/1500 ft.

More than happy to test bits or post screen shots if this will help. Please just let me know.

Thx for the info.

I'll pass your msg to Balthasar of RT

Edited by kiek

I have also noticed a drop in ground coverage as of the last days. Yesterday I observed the follwing:

EKCH  - ground traffic 
ESSA  - no ground traffic
ENGM - ground traffic showed in RealTrafficMaps, then suddenly all disappeared and remained so.

I can also confirm that even with PSXT, ground traffic does not get detected. I have tested it individually at the following airports:

VIDP

VABB

VOBL

RJAA 

RJCC

It's a very interesting issue because the data stream is perfect once the aircraft are airborne. It's almost like there's some configuration setting that forces RT to ignore the data stream as soon as the aircraft are above a certain altitude. 

Yet, it seems to not apply for all aircraft, as I sometimes get one or two planes as ground traffic at these airports.

Balthasar has updated his version to 9.0.174. He has put back a source of traffic data (although of rather poor quality) that used to be in, in v8. 

My first impression at RJAA is that I see more GND TFC, at least 8 taxiing at the moment.

Have a go at it!

Edited by kiek