Sign in to follow this  
buedi

New Userpoint Type Symbol possible?

With the release of the Boeing 247D tomorrow it seems we get full world coverage of Low-frequency radio navigation beacons used in the 30s. There is a mod out there since a while here with US coverage, but we might get full world coverage tomorrow with the Boeing 247D. If I understood correctly, it comes with a CSV file ready for import into LNM, so we can plan our fligths properly.

From the preview videos I have seen, the import seems to use the TACAN symbol. But looking at the documentation from the Mod mentioned above, it seems there was a common symbol used on the maps. I tried to figure out how I can import my own Icon into LNM for these NAV Beacons, but it seems the Waypoint Icons are fixed.

So I ask if it might be possible some time in the future to have a new Symbol for these kind of beacons? I know that the shading of the Symbol depends on how the radials of the Nav beacons are set up, but the legend has a standard one with 90° radials, so that would be enough to quickly spot what the symbol / NAV beacon is for. I made one real quick which could be scaled down and exported in the needed format if that helps 🙂

https://imgur.com/hi3vcp9

I simply added the radio range beacon to the stock userpoint icons. No big deal. I made a SVG based on your image.

You can download it here: https://github.com/albar965/littlenavmap/blob/master/resources/icons/userpoint_Radio Range.svg
Feel free to share it or send it to the author of the CSV to include it into the package.

Click on "Raw" and then download the SVG file from your browser. Put this file into your settings folder as described here: https://www.littlenavmap.org/manuals/littlenavmap/release/2.6/en/CUSTOMIZE.html. See further down in chapter "62.4.2. Userpoint Category Icons".

You can use the bulk edit to change the icon for all the radio range userpoints from TACAN to "Radio Range".

Alex

Thank you so much @albar965! I did not expect that it was that quick 🙂

I will get in touch with the Mod creator and Win42 ASAP.

I downloaded the SVG you converted, put it into the respective directory and after starting up LNM (2.6.17) again, I was able to pick the new Userpoint Type / Icon.

One small issue though. The icon does not seem to render on the map. I put another "Bookmark" type beside the Radio Nav Userpoint and it renders fine. Could it be some oddity with the SVG format? Although it renders fine in the menus. Here is a screenshot.

Anything I might be doing wrong or I could check on my side?

55 minutes ago, buedi said:

One small issue though. The icon does not seem to render on the map. I put another "Bookmark" type beside the Radio Nav Userpoint and it renders fine. Could it be some oddity with the SVG format?

It renders fine here. Can you view the icon in another tool which supports SVG? Maybe something went wrong when downloading.
Another reason might be that LNM does not enable new icons per default. You have to click the new one in the toolbar or then menu to see it.
I already changed the code in 2.7 to avoid this confusing behavior.

And thank you again for your donation!

Alex

Enabling the new Icon in the Toolbar did the trick 🤦‍♂️

Total User fault and no odd behaviour at all!

As seen in my Screenshot, I did not have "All" enabled, only a few. Of course a new icon can and should not show up with that setting, makes totally sense.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious Haha 🙂

And the donation was long overdue!

• Like 1

Hello buedi and albar, 

First - thank you so much for LNM. It's been invaluable for both radio Range and my earlier Celestial Navigation mod. Very pleased with the icon! Only caveat is that the orientation of the white and black actually aligns with the A and N sectors. Never mind that. Question - would you allow Wing42 to include that icon in the payware package?

23 minutes ago, CaptainSpeaking said:

Only caveat is that the orientation of the white and black actually aligns with the A and N sectors. Never mind that.

Hi Eric! First, Thank you very much for what you are doing for the Community! Thanks to you I learned a lot in the recent days about the Radio Range Navigation and when I think I have mastered it, there is also your Celestial Navigation Mod to discover. Something I am eager to try also 🙂

Regarding the Icon, I just picked the orientation from the Radio Facilities USA 1944.pdf you include in your mod. On page 4 on the right where the Symbols are shown is the version I thought would be appropriate to use. I do not think it is possible to show it dynamically in the correct orientation of the real "Beams" like in the Charts from 1944 you include in your Mod. But at least we now we can distinguish them from the TACANs 🙂

@CaptainSpeaking

I created another Icon... well... sort of. I picked a Radio Icon published under Creative Commons, imported it into Inkscape and removed the Transparency in some parts to make it look nicer in LNM. I uploaded it into my Google Drive, so you can pick it up if you want. With both Icons now, we can see the Radio and Radio Navigation Stations in LNM with their own symbols. I modified the .csv File reflecting the Icon name and imported it into LNM. I will try to attach / link a Screenshot in a minute to show how it looks now 🙂

Here is the URL to download the SVG for Radio Stations.

And here is a sample Screenshot with LNM with both Icons in use.

Edited by buedi
Added Image URL

12 hours ago, CaptainSpeaking said:

Thank you! Also note what a flyer called Bunny is doing in Little Nav Map, aligning the beams! 

Cool! Are the beams imported as KML or airspaces?

Alex

13 hours ago, CaptainSpeaking said:

Thank you! Also note what a flyer called Bunny is doing in Little Nav Map, aligning the beams! 

Where do I get this?
I need this now!

😉

many thanks!

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------