Sign in to follow this  
Iceking007

A little lost on settings...

Hello,

In reading through the RXP GNS530/430 v2 manual I'm not understanding a few things, if someone could help enlighten me I would highly appreciate it.

First of all, the settings.  There are all these device options and gauge options, it is my understanding that these are set in an interface menu; but I do not know where to find that menu.  I'm trying to set these settings in the .ini file in my aircraft folder, but I don't know what specifics to type in, in order to bypass the 'menu' I cannot find. 

Second, I'm not completely clear on exactly what all the options are doing, and why you would or would not want them on(set).  For example, Connect GPS to AP & GPS to HSI.  Is there a reason you want these off on a master device?  I'm assuming GPS to HSI moves the HSI per GPS navigation; which seems to make sense, but why have an option to disable it, is there a practical reason?

When would you use HSI/CRS (auto-slew)?

Third, I noticed the GPS (compass heading) does not match the a/c magnetic heading, I switched this to true north and magnetic, but they don't match; am I supposed to sync my hsi with the magnetic compass on the dash or with the gps display?  If it is set to the dash then my navigation is all messed up, if it is set to the gps then how can I trust there is no system failure if we are supposed to relay on the simple magnetic compass?

That's it for now, I'm having other problems, but I've posted those already, just waiting for replies...

Thank you for your time!

Hi,

You'll find most answers either in the forum or in the RXP GNS User's Manual. For example:

On 4/3/2022 at 2:13 PM, Iceking007 said:

but I do not know where to find that menu.

Manual p4 and p5.

I'm not completely clear on exactly what all the options are doing

Every single setting is explained in the Manual "Settings" chapter p10 to p13

and why you would or would not want them on(set).  For example, Connect GPS to AP & GPS to HSI.  Is there a reason you want these off on a master device?  I'm assuming GPS to HSI moves the HSI per GPS navigation; which seems to make sense, but why have an option to disable it, is there a practical reason?

The first reason would be to not using it!

The 2nd reason would be to workaround specific aircraft implementation and/or limitations. For example, some vendors are using the VOR1 dataref to drive the needle of the HSI gauge in their panel, instead of the HSI datarefs.

When would you use HSI/CRS (auto-slew)?

When you'd like using this feature! What is it doing is explained in the "Settings" chapter, which should be self-explicit:

"Select if the device auto-slew the HSI Course Selector when the DTK changes"

Third, I noticed the GPS (compass heading) does not match the a/c magnetic heading

It is expected there is a difference in the geo magnetic model between the GPS device and the simulator (like IRL), typically about +- 2deg, because the GPS one is synthetic, based on tables (and actually contained in the database IIRC). I'd suggest you probably open a new topic just for this question, other real world pilots with Garmin experience might be able to jump in and share how they're doing in practice IRL.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)