Sign in to follow this  
N400QW

WideViewAspect

Guest Andre77ab

I did a fresh install of FSX and after that applied Sp1,...now since I've a wideview monitor which parameters I need to change in the .cfg to abilitate the WideViewAspect?Happy landingAndy

Guest SimDog

Hi Andy,I do not use wide view but from what I recall reading, add this to the fsx.cfg:WideViewAspect=TrueDefault is False.Regards,SD

That is correct!Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

I have a widescreenmonitor but I was able to choose a resolution of 1680x1050 by default, so without changing anything to the cfg. I tried that option in the cfg once, but all it did was zoom out... It didn't change anything with the width or something. Where I normally use a zoom of 0,60, using this option in the cfg made me set it to 0,90 to get the EXACT same result.Maybe this option is only necessary if (somehow) FS X doesn't offer you 1680x1050 (or anything wide) by default?

Guest weeniemcween

I replied to this before in the other lod bias thread. Wideviewaspect set to true DOES actually fix the format on widescreen monitors. If you don't have it set to true than your aircraft appears elongated and VC gauges appear oval rather than circular (check). I can choose the same resolution regardless of whether it is set to true or false, but only true gives me the correct format. Simply zooming out will not provide the appropriate aspect but rather a fish eye effect, to a varying degree.

Guest allcott

Weenie is correct. Quite why this isn't a menu option in-sim is really, really puzzling, given the wide (pardon the pun) acceptance of widescreen in the monitor market today. You don't have to take the back off the TV to set it to 16:9 !Allcott

Guest weeniemcween

Ha,What's more, using a flightsim with a widescreen monitor makes a world of difference; I switched not too long ago. I guess the next step is a bigger widescreen or a projector.

>Wideviewaspect set to true DOES actually fix the format on>widescreen monitors. If you don't have it set to true than>your aircraft appears elongated and VC gauges appear oval>rather than circular (check). >Weenie is correct. You think I didn't check? ;)Here are two screenshots (with a lowered seat to show more of the gauges). The first is made with FALSE:http://i13.tinypic.com/63h3jhw.jpgAnd the second one with TRUE:http://i15.tinypic.com/6fabonq.jpgAs I said (!) the only difference is the zoomlevel. The gauges are the same on both pictures: no ovals or whatever.It must have something to do with the hardware (monitors specifications being recognized better by the graphics card or something, I really do now know), but in MY case settings FALSE or TRUE doesn't make a difference at all.So my advice is: if you DO have ovals, set WideScreenAspect to TRUE, otherwise forget about it. ;)P.S. Here is a zoomed in view (or better said a 100% view). I ONLY changed the size of one picture to make them the same height, but of course I didn't fiddle with the aspect ratio. Well, they are EXACTLY the same as far as roundness is concerned! (You tell me which is the FALSE one and which the TRUE one... :( )http://i12.tinypic.com/4vhdo8y.jpg http://i17.tinypic.com/6aise50.jpgYes, next time I'll make sure the sun is in my back... ;)

Fully agree with that! Right after buying the Track IR Pro comes the widescreen as the best thing I could have bought for a good FS X experience!

Guest Andre77ab

Thanks a lot guys, I'd tried to change the value in true, but at 1680*1050 I cannot see the difference between false and true :-| in 3d panel and 2d panel(the one that I mostly use)

Guest Andre77ab

Thanks a lot guys, I'd tried to change the value in true, but at 1680*1050 I cannot see the difference between false and true :-| in 3d panel and 2d panel(the one that I mostly use)

Guest weeniemcween

J van E,Yeah trackir, however expensive, is on my list of potentials. Yet I am thinking, no offense, that the dork factor might bother my companion...As far as the wideviewaspect having no effect, I don't get it. Perhaps it's the 1680 x 1050 resolution as the op seems to experience the same thing.

I think the setting only applies for those who do NOT get a widescreenoption in FS X itself. This setting gives you those options in game. I think I don't need that option because I have Vista: XP doesn't 'know' widescreen by default. Yes, that must be it. ;)It would indeed be weird being able to fly at true 1680x1050 on a 1680x1050 monitor and still have oval gauges... You ONLY get oval gauges when you are running a 4:3 resolution on a 16:9 or 16:10 monitor (in which case you will also have a blurred view). On LCD's anyway...

Guest weeniemcween

That makes sense. Not about vista, though.

O man, you REALLY got to get that Track IR! Believe me, it will totally transform the experience! Just think about simply looking everywhere you want to (on ALL axes!) without slowly sliding the view with a hatswitch...! It's.... it's.... it's... undescribable. :(If you buy the TrackClip Pro also (which I did) you can attach that to a headphone: than you do not need stickers and stuff like with the older system, so forget about the dork side. ;) Buy a COOL and BIG heapdhone and no one will notice that clip anyway. Well, almost... :(Really, after one flight with Track IR (and having it set up well, which may take half an hour or so, and there are some settings you must be aware off) you just don't want to fly without it anymore. I had it setup to my liking in half an hour or so and didn't change anything about it ever since. I just put on my headphone and away I go! Awesome stuff. As you may notice... ;)(P.S. About that stuff you have to be aware off: the TrackIR software defaults to the older system with stickers. It took me (quite) a while to find out I had to use a specific setting for the TrackClip Pro. After that it was easy... I use a default setting (flight, I think, which I had to alter because of that TrackClip) and haven't even played around with all posibilities to change stuff because the default is fine with me. If I had known about that setting I think I wouldn't have spend more than 5 minutes installing everything and getting ready to fly!)O man, why did you bring that Track IR up... I can't stop talking! :( (O bummer, I started talking about it myself...!!! :) )