Looking at purchasing a new gpu to go with a new build (cpu I7 12700kf), Given my budget, I’ve narrowed it down to the gtx 3060, wondering if anyone would know if there is a big difference between a TI and non-TI model in relation to msfs 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

The Ti's are quite a bit better than the non, and don't fall for the non ti's that have 12gb vram, it is just a gimmick to stimulate sales. 

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

3 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

The Ti's are quite a bit better than the non, and don't fall for the non ti's that have 12gb vram, it is just a gimmick to stimulate sales. 

Thank you, I was curious about the 12gb. 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

For what it's worth, I upgraded my GTX 980 to a RTX 3060 over the weekend (I7 6700K, 16GB RAM) and I'm in flightsim nirvana now.  Buttery smooth, even in the worst IFR conditions, and no stutters whatsoever.  I keep the frames locked at 30 FPS but unlocked I'm getting around 45 fps in the BAe 146, which is pretty much all I'm flying right now.  The card is probably overkill for my older CPU, but man, I've never had it so good.

No doubt the 3060ti is the better card, I don't think you'll be disappointed with a 3060 if the 3060ti is out of reach dollar wise.

• Like 1

Richard P. Kelly

22 minutes ago, untoweechja said:

For what it's worth, I upgraded my GTX 980 to a RTX 3060 over the weekend (I7 6700K, 16GB RAM) and I'm in flightsim nirvana now.  Buttery smooth, even in the worst IFR conditions, and no stutters whatsoever.  I keep the frames locked at 30 FPS but unlocked I'm getting around 45 fps in the BAe 146, which is pretty much all I'm flying right now.  The card is probably overkill for my older CPU, but man, I've never had it so good.

No doubt the 3060ti is the better card, I don't think you'll be disappointed with a 3060 if the 3060ti is out of reach dollar wise.

What resolution are you running at?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Thanks Richard!

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

4 hours ago, untoweechja said:

Thank you, I ordered the TI model and just reading your comment now, I’m sure the non-ti would have been sufficient but I already hit the buy now and it’s on its way. I appreciate you giving me your experience on the upgrade, you’ve given me confidence in the new card!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Thank you, I ordered the TI model and just reading your comment now, I’m sure the non-ti would have been sufficient but I already hit the buy now and it’s on its way. I appreciate you giving me your experience on the upgrade, you’ve given me confidence in the new card!

Yes, prepare to be blown away.  I was able to get better performance than I expected out of the GTX 980 with all the relevant graphics settings at medium, but still had occasional stutters and slowdowns in bad weather or at night.  Nothing of the sort with the new card, even with the settings on Ultra.  I do have the sliders at 120 (running at 90 before the upgrade), and I'm completely satisfied with the look and mostly with the absolute smoothness.

Edited by untoweechja
added omitted word
  • Like 1

Richard P. Kelly

20 hours ago, untoweechja said:

Yes, prepare to be blown away.  I was able to get better performance than I expected out of the GTX 980 with all the relevant graphics settings at medium, but still had occasional stutters and slowdowns in bad weather or at night.  Nothing of the sort with the new card, even with the settings on Ultra.  I do have the sliders at 120 (running at 90 before the upgrade), and I'm completely satisfied with the look and mostly with the absolute smoothness.

I received the card today and installed it , got to try it quickly And you are absolutely right, it is like a whole new simulator, the difference is unreal and the experience has been completely transformed!! 

• Like 2