Hi All, 

I have never known what my FPS are in VR , this utility has a great great option to display them , worth installing just for that function.

so of course i have to do lots of test at various locations.  Bowerman, New York, Iceland   Stormy, Clear, Rainy .  I don't have my frames locked.  They vary very little between 39-42 staying pretty constant on 40. 

Is this good for VR  or should I expect better with more fiddling with settings?

• Like 1

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11

Not only the OpenXR Toolkit shows the actual fps, but it can also tell you whether you have some CPU margin, which can give an indication whether there is room for raising some game settings (in this case that would be settings affecting the CPU more).

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

1 hour ago, RXP said:

Not only the OpenXR Toolkit shows the actual fps, but it can also tell you whether you have some CPU margin, which can give an indication whether there is room for raising some game settings (in this case that would be settings affecting the CPU more).

I saw something flash up red once is that what this is or is there something I need to turn on to monitor this ? Just been reading the Manuel. I have my render in game set to 120 and it MUST be set to 100 , will change to that next go  and see what affect that does !

Quest 2

Windows 11

If you're using the OXR-TK "Lock Motion Reprojection Rate" setting: it will display whether you have any CPU headroom or if you're missing the target frame time.

Otherwise, it will check and give the indication whether you're CPU bound (that is if your CPU takes more time than your GPU by a certain margin).

Please note these are not meant to be measuring tools of any sort, but convenient simple indications only, which does the job in most cases!

Edited by RXP
  • Like 1

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Hey Jean-Luc,

Firstly I would i like to say how much I appriciate your work on the toolkit. Amazing work.

One small thing I would ask, is there not any way to make the menus easier to use? I don't know if its just me but I find that trying to navigate the menus in VR while using a "vulcan deathgrip" keyboard combination really, really difficult. I know the main purpose of the VR menu is so you can see live changes but it would it be possible to have the option to perhaps have a simple 2d windows desktop menu to change settings? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Love this one: live long and prosper!

With the latest version you can change some of the settings from an external app!

Here is preview of how the command-line is working:

Usage: C:\Program Files\OpenXR-Toolkit\companion.exe
    [app <name>]
    [-sunglasses <off|light|dark|trunite>]
    [-post-process <[0,1]>]
    [-contrast <[0,100]>]
    [-brightness <[0,100]>]
    [-exposure <[0,100]>]
    [-saturation <[0,100]>]
    [-vibrance <[0,100]>]
    [-highlights <[0,100]>]
    [-shadows <[0,100]>]
    [-gain-r <[0,100]>]
    [-gain-g <[0,100]>]
    [-gain-b <[0,100]>]
    [-world-scale <[0,1000]>]
    [-zoom <[1,150]>]
    [-reprojection-rate <unlocked|1/2|1/3|1/4>]
    [-foveated-rendering <toggle>]
    [-overlay <toggle>]

When no app is specified, the currently running app is used.
Use syntax <+N> to add value N to integral and decimal values (N can be negative)
Use syntax <+N> to cycle by step N through enumeration values (with automatic wraparound)

Examples:
 companion.exe -brightness 50.5 -contrast 45.8
   Set brightness and contrast values for the currently running app
 companion.exe -sunglasses +1
   Cycle through sunglasses mode for the currently running app
 companion.exe -world-scale +-10
   Decrease world scale by 10% for the currently running app
 companion.exe -overlay toggle
   Toggle the overlay on/off for the currently running app
 companion.exe app FS2020 dump
   Dump settings for app 'FS2020' (Flight Simulator 2020)

The dump option can be used to generate a command-line based on the current option values (eg: as you set from the menu in-game), so that you can copy/paste it directly:

> companion.exe dump
C:\Program Files\OpenXR-Toolkit\companion.exe app HelloXR -sunglasses light -post-process 1 -contrast 50 -brightness 0.1 -exposure 50 -saturation 50 -vibrance 0 -highlights 100 -shadows 0 -gain-r 50 -gain-g 50 -gain-b 50 -world-scale 101 -reprojection-rate 1/4

This isn’t the most integrated solution, but it should enable many scenarios. It will require you to install for example a 3rd party application that can invoke a command-line from a keyboard shortcut, or any other trigger (joystick, voice etc...). Hopefully this is simple-enough for most folks, and we can write a good guide to help with it.

You’ll also note that not all settings can be controlled, and that is a deliberate choice. Settings requiring session restart are not included for example. Maybe we’ll extend the list in the future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RXP said:

Love this one:  

I think my Brain just exploded out of my nostrils reading this. Vlookups  on excel send  my brain into meltdown, ha ha ha. Really appreciate your help though , it’s a steep learning curve for me.  If I was a Sunday league footballer you would be Messi!  I am managing to get my head around navigating the menus now I can make them stay open for a long time.  My hands do keep naturally trying to use the arrow keys on my keyboard.  I am learning and certainly seeing improvements , can’t work out yet if FSR or Nvidias N.. is better  I run a rtx3080.  Really nervous about changing setting too much .  

Thanks  again 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Quest 2

Windows 11

20 hours ago, RXP said:

Well had a little time today  and copied the Oculus settings of "PIE IN THE SKY TOURS" from his utube channel as same GPU as me. 

Well all I can say to you all is THANK YOU  ALL VERY MUCH. (i have posted a thank you on the  utube channel under my google name and subscribed!) 

My frames have jumped form 40 to 45, rock solid   never dropping below,  sometimes climbing higher.  But forget the numbers,  its what the eye sees. that counts.   Smoothness is superb. Used to drive me mad looking out the sides seeing stuttering scenery, that's all gone  even in built up areas like New York.  .  Thank you all very much this has made it a pleasure to fly in VR.

Great start to the weekend

😉

• Like 1

Quest 2

Windows 11

23 hours ago, RXP said:

Is there any need to have the Oculus Tray tool running when the toolkit is in use ?  Thanks again for your invaluable advise

🙂

Quest 2

Windows 11

I'm not sure about all the things Oculus, but on our Discord other Oculus users might help you better than me, and I thank them for this!

18 hours ago, RXP said:

I'm not sure about all the things Oculus, but on our Discord other Oculus users might help you better than me, and I thank them for this!

Thank you this tool is  excellent.  One strange thing I have noticed is when the flight loads now the text which gives you all the facts about the aircraft, the first two words are blurry/corrupt no matter which way I turn my head. Not a problem just curious if any idea what has caused that. Rest of the text crystal clear .

Quest 2

Windows 11

This is a known limitation of the variable shading rate technique we're using, and the way the game is rendering the menu. You might want to deactivate FFR while in the menu, then activate FFR back when the game session is ready.

Ah thanks for clarifying. I was getting paranoid thinking something wrong with my headset or pc.  It’s fine I can put up with it, still can’t get over how smooth this has made it for me with the Quest  , a “budget”  headset.

King regards

• Like 1

Quest 2

Windows 11