Sign in to follow this  
Jockos

Scenery configuration Damage.

I have had an unfortunate event attempting to install scenery that I deduce has ‘scrambled’ my scenery set-up in P3D v5.  P3D will not now load.

I am a new user of Lorby Addon and still learning, so to speak.

I could see that at least 8 of my sceneries were missing, all previously installed via the ‘add to scenery cfg’ method, not using Lorby.

I have gone about reinstalling these sceneries using Lorby, synched the simulator in ORBX and ensured that the order is correct at the Lorby ‘Scenery’ tab.

I still can’t get a load with P3D.

I suspect much is array with cfg files, Indexes etc., and I am unsure how to go about fixing.

I could uninstall/reinstall P3D but I think I would still have an issue with the scenery configuration.

I am attempting to avoid a clean install of P3D and a reinstall of my relatively large collection of addon sceneries.

Can you give me some guidance on how I might go about fixing, if this is possible with Lorby Addon, please?

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Cheers

Jock McIntyre

Jock McIntyre

What does "P3D will not load" look like?

Does it disappear, get stuck, display an error message (possibly in the Windows Application Event Log)? Is there a chance that it is simply taking very long to load?

LORBY-SI

The usual P3D splash screen appears, 'Building Database for new scenery' appears and the sliding panel finishes.  After a few seconds the splash screen disappears.

No error message.

Cheers

Jock

Jock McIntyre

Sounds strange. Things like that haven't been happening for a long time. There were problems in previous versions of P3D where the sim wouldn't load when there were issues with add-on.xml files (like a missing title or an empty scenery folder). But those have been cured by Lockheed long ago.

P4AO will fix the most common problems automatically, but it cannot go beyond the most basic ones. You can only look through the dialogs and check if some obvious addon is missing that should be there - and that "something" would be the first thing to look at. And the Windows Application Event Log of course. A program doesn't just "close", that is either done by the OS or at least known to the OS. There is a good chance that Windows has something to say about it in the log.

"Looking at" means checking the config files one by one, starting with the scenery.cfg file. Rename it to .off, check if the simulator is loading then. If it does, then the file is somehow broken and you need to take a look inside. Next in line would be the Prepar3D.cfg. And so on and so forth. Problem is, that it could be any which one of the hundreds of config files. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that an aircraft is causing this, or a "global" addon or tool. 

P3D has an optional content error log - but when the sim doesn't start, you can't enable it. Maybe another user knows if there is an option for the log in the prepar3d.cfg? I can't find it.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Oliver

Thank you for your detailed response.

You prompted me to look at event viewer and I was getting these spurious NVIDIA errors.

I updated my Vid driver and now P3D has loaded.!!

I moved around through a number of airports that I had loaded via Lorby.

All looks fine.  I believe things are in order.

My sincerest apologies for tasking you with my query, unnecessarily.

Thank you for Lorby Addon Manager it is a great application.

Cheers

Jock

Jock McIntyre