Sign in to follow this  
bofhlusr

Do aircraft registration numbers change?

I'm looking into an aircraft I was involved in, a Fokker F-27-100 Friendship twin prop, which belonged to a commercial airline with registration number "PI-C507" (see below).

It appears that after a crash, a different production model or type, the Fokker F-27-200, also had the same registration number. (see the aircraft with the same registration number here:  

Fokker F-27-200 Friendship - Philippine Airlines | Aviation Photo #0134502 | Airliners.net

I'm wondering if it was the same plane that had its engine upgraded or if it was a different model. How do registration numbering work in aircraft or airliners? Can these numbers be re-used?

spacer.png

Edited by bofhlusr
Fixed link.
  • Upvote 1

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Not sure of your specific case, but I do know that reg numbers can and have been reused a bunch of times.

FS2004 Forever

What is the difference between the two id numbers: 'Registration PI-C507" and MSN 10246 (see above)?

Which one is the actual registration number? It looks like the plane was repaired, acquired by the Philippine Air Force a year after it crashed and repainted. The so called "Registration: PI-C507 "disappeared but the MSN number remained the same ("10246"). See link below:
https://www.airhistory.net/photo/63157/10246

Apparently, it went to a museum eventually, oddly enough, as an F-27-200 (not as F-27-100):
https://www.planelogger.com/Aircraft/Registration/10246/696322

Edited by bofhlusr
Typo.

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

2 hours ago, bofhlusr said:

What is the difference between the two id numbers: 'Registration PI-C507" and MSN 10246 (see above)?

Which one is the actual registration number? It looks like the plane was repaired, acquired by the Philippine Air Force a year after it crashed and repainted. The so called "Registration: PI-C507 "disappeared but the MSN number remained the same ("10246"). See link below:
https://www.airhistory.net/photo/63157/10246

Apparently, it went to a museum eventually, oddly enough, as an F-27-200 (not as F-27-100):
https://www.planelogger.com/Aircraft/Registration/10246/696322

Registration = Number plate

MSN = Manufacturers serial number

• Like 2

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

Just as rka mentioned above the canonical ID is the MSN.

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Thank you both.

Kinda strange why they used the same serial number for a different model.

Edited by bofhlusr

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1