Sign in to follow this  
ABE

CLEAN TO HEAVY

So I installed SP1 on a clean FSX.What is the efficient way to restore or add ALL those files from my original FSX folder? To reinstall everything is going to be a NIGHTMARE.Has anybody done that?Thanks for any help or suggestions.Abe

Thanks Thomas.ALL ADDONS: aircrafts, sceneries, gauges....etc....What I was thinking is can I add EVERYTHING that I have in my original FSX folder(prior to SP1).....But watch for OVERWRITING files that SP1 has created and is using. I also realize that some main files like FSX.CFG has to be modified.I hope that this explanation is clear and also DO-ABLE.Abe

I am still hoping that somebody will come up with an answer.Abe

Guest jshyluk

I think I understand what you are getting at, but I'm going to think you will hate my answer.Basically, the best way to re-install everything is to re-install everything. You must have installed your stuff at one point, you just do it again. Make sure you have all of your serial numbers and key codes on hand before you get started -- it's really annoying to have to search for that stuff in the middle of an install.You want the most efficient way? I'd say that's it. Cut any corners in the installation process, and you risk screwing up FSX altogether. You probably don't need any custom files you have generated, except for saved flights, trophies, and controller configurations. Beyond that, you just install stuff one after the other. Custom or altered files that you bring into the re-installation have a chance of destroying FSX, so you need to weigh how much you miss your old files versus how much you want FSX back. Jeff ShylukAvsim Product Reviewer

I agree with Jeff. But, if you are stuck on trying to copy over, I highly recommend a program called Winmerge. It's awesome for searching for differences between files and comparing text files. http://winmerge.org/Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Thanks Jeff.You are absolutely right.I hated your answer(G). And of course I agree with "so you need to weigh how much you miss your old files versus how much you want FSX back".Since I have backed up both my CLEAN SP1 and my HEAVY FSX folders including the files in the main 'C' drive, I might experiment, when I have time, to see if things do not get screwed up too terribly if I integrate my old files GRADUALLY.Abe

Hello,What I have done : copy all addon sceneries and made them active, all gauges, all effects, all aircrafts (cross check some "standard" aircrafts are changed in SP1, I still don not know which ones), AI folders, copy my traffic files ...AND it works ....do not forget to reinstall (if you use them) : FSAutostart, FSForce, FSUIPC, ...... I hope this is all.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Thanks Emile.I think I am going to try what you said. But how about the FSX.CFG? Did you modify it? And was it accepted right away?Tell me the good news.Thanks again.Abe

Hi,Oh yes I knew I forgot FSX.cfg.I made a copy of it , saved some where.After the FSX.cfg was rebuild by FSX , I compared the 2 files and added the "missing" and important information for me , example in the "(MAIN)User Objects=Airplane, HelicopterSimObjectPaths.0=SimObjectsAirplanesSimObjectPaths.1=SimObjectsRotorcraftSimObjectPaths.2=SimObjectsGroundVehiclesSimObjectPaths.3=SimObjectsBoatsSimObjectPaths.4=SimObjectsAnimalsSimObjectPaths.5=SimObjectsMiscSimObjectPaths.6=SimObjectsAIAirplanesSimObjectPaths.7=SimObjectsAI_Aircraft_NLSimObjectPaths.8=SimObjectsAI_Aircraft_CHSimObjectPaths.9=SimObjectsAI_Aircraft_VOZSimObjectPaths.10=SimObjectsAI_Aircraft_RAAFSimObjectPaths.11=SimObjectsPAI"Afterwards changed/added in function of the Phil's blog.Have a nice day.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64