Sign in to follow this  
Ramberga

not getting vectors at the final waypoint of a STAR

Dave - I have tried twice: I'm choosing a STAR (in this case AGUDE FIVE ARRIVAL) for KSTP (St Paul downtown), then choosing ILS runway 14 approach and have selected "VECTORS TO ARDNN". I don't get any vectors after the end waypoint of the STAR and I have to fly to ARDNN on my own.

So, vectors off a STAR (at the last waypoint of the STAR) are not being given. Any thoughts?

Thanks when you have time to respond. I am running the current beta, but the same thing was happening with the public release.

Pete

When you choose Vectors in the Approach Transition dropdown, it just really means, no published transition.  If the angle of intercept to final is not too severe, you will just get cleared for the approach after the STAR and be expected to fly it on your own (or let the autopilot fly it).

You will only get radar vectors when they are needed to get you lined up for a good intercept angle.

Dave

18 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

When you choose Vectors in the Approach Transition dropdown, it just really means, no published transition.  If the angle of intercept to final is not too severe, you will just get cleared for the approach after the STAR and be expected to fly it on your own (or let the autopilot fly it).

You will only get radar vectors when they are needed to get you lined up for a good intercept angle.

Dave

Dave, thanks for the reply. So, if I choose "vectors to <waypoint>" in the approach transition dropdown, what do you mean by it meaning "no published transition"? I need a bit of clarification.

And yes, the angle to pick up the localizer was not severe and I did that manually on both attempts. I was just expecting vectors (like it says in the real STAR description for AGUDE FIVE into KSTP after reaching the final waypoint of the GEP VOR).

Thanks. when you have time.

Pete

Approaches, as well as STARs and SIDs, have "optional" published transitions.  The ILS to RW14 at KSTP has a published transition from GEP, for example.  Choosing "Vectors to ARDNN" from the drop-down, instead of GEP, just means that ATC will either give vectors or let you intercept final on your own.

Since the STAR ends at GEP,  then it would be natural to select the published transition, GEP.  In that case, you would not expect vectors since the STAR connect to the Approach transition.  Of course, you should get clearance for the Approach before reaching GEP.

Dave

21 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Approaches, as well as STARs and SIDs, have "optional" published transitions.  The ILS to RW14 at KSTP has a published transition from GEP, for example.  Choosing "Vectors to ARDNN" from the drop-down, instead of GEP, just means that ATC will either give vectors or let you intercept final on your own.

Since the STAR ends at GEP,  then it would be natural to select the published transition, GEP.  In that case, you would not expect vectors since the STAR connect to the Approach transition.  Of course, you should get clearance for the Approach before reaching GEP.

Dave

OK. Thanks again for the clarification. I've been using your product for a couple of years and love it. Great job. Wish my friend could use it on his Mac studio. Any plans for making a Mac OS version?

Pete

No,  a MAC version would be a total rewrite.  Some users are running on MAC machines, but using the Windows "Bootstrap", I believe it's called.

If XPUIPC works on the MAC, then you might could have P2A on a networked windows machine talking to X-Plane on the MAC. 

Dave

Edited by Dave-Pilot2ATC

1 minute ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

No,  a MAC version would be a total rewrite.  Some users are running on MAC machines, but using the Windows "Bootstrap", I believe it's called.

Dave

Right. He had mentioned that to me. Thanks for replying.

25 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Dave

52 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

Dave

Quick clarification: using the "vectors to >waypoint>" option as an approach transition simply means that there is no published transition available?

Pete

2 minutes ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

No, it just means you chose not to request a transition.  

Dave

Yeah, I just realized that after I typed!! Thanks again.

4 hours ago, Dave-Pilot2ATC said:

No, it just means you chose not to request a transition.  

Dave

Dave - just a follow up on our conversation from this morning: I redid the flight for KSTP, using the AGUDE FIVE STAR and ILS rwy 14 approach. But, this time I used the published approach transition to GEP VOR, rather than using the "vectors to ARDNN".

Guess what?? ATC gave me full vectors to the approach before I ever got to the final GEP waypoint! Genius!!!!!

So, question: If I use the "vectors to <waypoint>" option in the approach transition (like before), how come it had me fly on my own to the ARDNN fix, rather than give me vectors to ARDNN?? Was it because I was already to GEP VOR and there wasn't room and/or time??GEP is 7.7 miles from the ARDNN fix. Just curious. 

It was awesome that your algorithm followed what ATC would have done: cut the route short of GEP VOR and vector me to the localizer.

Thanks when you have time to respond - I'm just unsure why the approach transition "vectors to ARDNN" gave me no vectors, but using the GEP approach transition did provide vectors.

Pete