Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Simming since 1982...but,...

Interesting discussion.  Kind of faded out of simming and scenery dev.  Lost a couple HDs full of mods/data and never got P3D.  I have upgraded my system, though never top of the line.   Then when they had the MSFS GOTY sale went ahead and installed steam and bought it.  I actually have fsx-steam but never installed it till now.

Meanwhile i had gotten involved in some open source software and from that started learning Python dev that's kept me busy.  Almost all of my old tools for FSX scenery are obsolete.  So I installed QGIS and have to relearn all I've forgot about GIS.  Also installed Blender 3.1.2 to use the Asobo exporter.  It's come a long way since my old GMax days and making .mdl models for bgl libraries.  At least ADE is still around with MSFS updates for making airports.

Haven't even started with AIG, thinking back to all the time I spent (wasted?) with ttools making the perfect schedules (and collecting low poly AI models and liveries).

scott s.

28 minutes ago, scott967 said:

Interesting discussion.  Kind of faded out of simming and scenery dev.  Lost a couple HDs full of mods/data and never got P3D.  I have upgraded my system, though never top of the line.   Then when they had the MSFS GOTY sale went ahead and installed steam and bought it.  I actually have fsx-steam but never installed it till now.

Meanwhile i had gotten involved in some open source software and from that started learning Python dev that's kept me busy.  Almost all of my old tools for FSX scenery are obsolete.  So I installed QGIS and have to relearn all I've forgot about GIS.  Also installed Blender 3.1.2 to use the Asobo exporter.  It's come a long way since my old GMax days and making .mdl models for bgl libraries.  At least ADE is still around with MSFS updates for making airports.

Haven't even started with AIG, thinking back to all the time I spent (wasted?) with ttools making the perfect schedules (and collecting low poly AI models and liveries).

scott s.

Hi Scott,  for you,  you have a 'deeper' interest going on here.   The bowels and mechanics of the genre.   That alone is a 'hobby' all by itself.   From what I read, is it challenges your grey matter, and that is a rush all of its own.   Enjoy, creating, and using.

Ses

• Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 4:10 PM, Sesquashtoo said:

Hi Scott,  for you,  you have a 'deeper' interest going on here.   The bowels and mechanics of the genre.   That alone is a 'hobby' all by itself.   From what I read, is it challenges your grey matter, and that is a rush all of its own.   Enjoy, creating, and using.

Ses

From FS2K/2K2/9 and then FSX took my interest in mapping/cartography and really got into digital mapping.  Then playing around with airport layouts and trying to do some 3d modeling of terminals.  The 3d modeling stuff is hard -- takes some artistry not just programming. And that's without trying to do "bones" or animation.  Back then I was using "sketchup" which is kind of tinker-toy compared something full-up like Blender.

But my actual MSFS flying has been a bit limited -- so much to try to get back up to speed with.

scott s.