Sign in to follow this  
MauBen

Is there a way to run MSFS with SteamVR?

Is there a way to run MSFS with SteamVR without getting a slide show?

I have the MS store version of MSFS and so far, all works very well. But now, I need to use SteamVR as it is what is needed in my new Simrig motion platform to enable motion compensation.

If I start MSFS from Steam and switch to SteamVR instead of WMR, MSFS runs like a slide show in VR.

So, I am wondering if I need to uninstall the MS store version of MSFS and buy the steam version instead. Has anyone been able to use SteamVR with the MS store version of MSFS without getting horrible stutters and a slide show performance?

Thank you

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, Reverb G2, Simrig Motion platform

51 minutes ago, JacquesBrel said:

It would be helpful to know which VR headset you have as well as your system specs.

It's a Reverb G2 with an I9 9900K and an RTX 3080 TI.

I've used SteamVR with my Reverb G2 without it having result in a MSFS slideshow, though the only reason I tried using SteamVR with MSFS was experimental, and IMO it's not nearly as competent a VR solution as using the MS Mixed Reality Portal (MRP) app.  If all you are looking for is motion compensation, that feature is also available when using the MRP if you enable "Motion Reprojection" within the "OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality" app.  You will have to explicitly download this app from the MS store.  Once you enable Motion Reprojection with it, there is no need for this app to be running.

That being said, it you're having a slide show regardless of using SteamVR, your problem is most likely that your MSFS graphics settings are set much too high.  I too run a 3080 ti with a 10700k (nearly identical to a 9900k), and with using mostly Medium and High settings I get a fairly consistent 40-45 fps everywhere with my G2.

Finally, look into using the OpenXR Toolkit mod.  It's not required, but it supplies some really nice extensions and features that augment OpenXR.  It only works in the MRP environment.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

1 hour ago, TheFamilyMan said:

I've used SteamVR with my Reverb G2 without it having result in a MSFS slideshow, though the only reason I tried using SteamVR with MSFS was experimental, and IMO it's not nearly as competent a VR solution as using the MS Mixed Reality Portal (MRP) app.  If all you are looking for is motion compensation, that feature is also available when using the MRP if you enable "Motion Reprojection" within the "OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality" app.  You will have to explicitly download this app from the MS store.  Once you enable Motion Reprojection with it, there is no need for this app to be running.

Sorry, but I meant to say motion cancellation instead of motion compensation. This is used in motion platforms to counteract the platform motion from the head motion. So, it has nothing to do with motion reprojection.

Anyway, after talking to the supplier of the motion platform elements (Simrig) , they let me know they will be supporting WMR soon, so no more more need for me to use SteamVR  😁

Thank you for detailed answer though 👍

Maurice

9 hours ago, MauBen said:

RESOLVED. No need to reply 🙂

Is there a way to run MSFS with SteamVR without getting a slide show?

I have the MS store version of MSFS and so far, all works very well. But now, I need to use SteamVR as it is what is needed in my new Simrig motion platform to enable motion compensation.

If I start MSFS from Steam and switch to SteamVR instead of WMR, MSFS runs like a slide show in VR.

So, I am wondering if I need to uninstall the MS store version of MSFS and buy the steam version instead. Has anyone been able to use SteamVR with the MS store version of MSFS without getting horrible stutters and a slide show performance?

Thank you

Thanks for that clarification.  I was puzzled about your mention of your Simrig motion platform being associated with motion compensation, which unfortunately is the term which SteamVR has for their version of motion reprojection and hence the tangent I jumped on with my post. Hope you get everything sorted out and soon working as expected. 

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)