Sign in to follow this  
Amrick615

F/A-18: DC Desings versus VRS Superbug?

Hello all!

I finally got the exilerating chance to hear all 12 engines of the Blue Angels team blast full military power over my head just a few days ago. Naturally, I now have F/A-18 fever! (And the need for speed 😎)

I want to find a study-level F/A-18 for P3Dv5. The two candidates I see so far are DC Designs and VRS Superbug. So far, I'm more sold towards the VRS, but I want your opinions first in case DC Designs (or anyone else for that matter) would be a better fit in the end. 

Thanks!

No comparison, the VRS Superbug. I have approximately 400 hours in the Superbug and have taught several folks to fly it using the USNavy patpubs and NATOPS. Both the DC Designs and MSFS/Asobo Rhinos are modelled as "fast jets" in the sim and do not have the detailed real world FBW systems that are largely replicated in the Superbug.

That said, if you want the best simulation of the Hornet charley model, DCS is the way to go. 

Hope this helps. 

PS several of my former squadron mates were current or past Rhino/Hornet pilots. Their opinion of the Superbug was enough for me.

Edited by hs118
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, hs118 said:

No comparison, the VRS Superbug. I have approximately 400 hours in the Superbug and have taught several folks to fly it using the USNavy patpubs and NATOPS. Both the DC Designs and MSFS/Asobo Rhinos are modelled as "fast jets" in the sim and do not have the detailed real world FBW systems that are largely replicated in the Superbug.

That said, if you want the best simulation of the Hornet charley model, DCS is the way to go. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks for the info! That's one thing I appreciate about the Superbug so far, the FBW simulation is well regarded.

If anyone has additional wisdom, please share!

The only gripe I have heard from real world Navy pilots about the Superbug was the relatively slow spool up on the engines. The DCS simulation seems to match more their experience with the real world throttle response.

That said, the Navy "way" of making throttle changes still works well with the Superbug. Throttle backward or forward based on muscle memory, overshooting a little bit. Then fine move in the opposite direction to stabilize. Finally, if needed a third "polishing" move based on looking at the instruments. 

Edited by hs118
  • Like 1

the bug is amazing, i own it on fs9/fsx and p3d👍

all versions with Tacpack addon 

Edited by Beerz
  • Like 1

Hello! 

I've bought the Superbug, holy hell its amazing! I see what hs118 meant by the engine spooling, it makes taxiing a little interesting, but it works, nonetheless. Now I'm getting on the aircraft carrier phase. Wish me luck! 😃 

• Like 1