Sign in to follow this  
Virtual-Chris

4000 Series Settings for Frame Generation

If using frame generation with a 4090/4080…

- Are you locking FPS to keep it at or below your display refresh rate? I recall reading it’s ideal to keep FPS at like 118 on a 120Hz display. I’m not currently using this.

- Or are you using v-sync? I understand v-sync eliminates tearing if FPS > refresh rate… true? I’m currently using NV CP set to Fast - not sure if that’s ideal.

- Are you using G-Sync on an OLED? Any flicker in dark scenes? It seems frame generation keeps the FPS high enough to mitigate OLED flicker. 

- Are you running 4K? If so what TLOD? I can run 4K LOD 400 and still have 60-90FPS (after FG) although LOD 200 or even 300 is less CPU bound on my 5800x3D

- Are you using DLSS or any other scaling? I’m currently not using any scaling. 

- My frame generation setting is greyed-out in MSFS. I had to use the Useropt.CFG file to enable it. Apparently a known bug. 

- What artifacts have you noticed? I’ve noticed the Garmin speed and elevation ticker tape digits are a bit blurry and the flight director can also get a bit soft when moving.

- Are you using TrackIR? How does it work with FG and artifacting? I haven’t got to this yet  

- What else?

Edited by Virtual-Chris

I'd love to know what the preference is.

(Specs added for mobile users - 4080 12700k 4.5ghz 32gb ddr5 1440p monitor)

I was just doing what another user was doing and limiting fps at 80 via NCP MSFS exe setting.  I have a 144hz gsysnc "compatible" monitor.

In MSFS I run ultra settings and 200 lod at 1440p (VR a lot less).

I use taa because dlss is too blurry.  I do have FG enabled though (but it's greyed out in the sim settings but it appears to be working due to how smooth planning is)

Yes I use Track IR and also vr hp reverb g2

Edited by ryanbatc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

@Virtual-Chris

I replied above - sorry I rarely use this subforum.  Also I'm wondering what is the exact useropt entry to enable it?

I'm pretty sure it's enabled in the NCP level but maybe it's not in sim?  Mine is greyed out as well.

Edited by ryanbatc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

21 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

@Virtual-Chris

I replied above - sorry I rarely use this subforum.  Also I'm wondering what is the exact useropt entry to enable it?

I'm pretty sure it's enabled in the NCP level but maybe it's not in sim?  Mine is greyed out as well.

I've been away from the forums a bit and this thread seemed to die on the vine 😞

Anyway, you can turn frame generation on in the UserCfg.opt file by changing DLSSG 0 to DLSSG 1

1 hour ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I've been away from the forums a bit and this thread seemed to die on the vine 😞

Anyway, you can turn frame generation on in the UserCfg.opt file by changing DLSSG 0 to DLSSG 1

Ok I noticed mine was ON but greyed out.  I do use TAA though.  Dlss is too blurry.

Also last night I locked my fps at 143 (1 less than my refresh rate) via NCP.  

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

22 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

Ok I noticed mine was ON but greyed out.  I do use TAA though.  Dlss is too blurry.

Also last night I locked my fps at 143 (1 less than my refresh rate) via NCP.  

I think I’ve read it’s best to lock at a few FPS lower than max refresh but not sure how credible that source was. How are things working for you?

On 12/6/2022 at 2:41 PM, Virtual-Chris said:

If using frame generation with a 4090/4080…

- Are you locking FPS to keep it at or below your display refresh rate? I recall reading it’s ideal to keep FPS at like 118 on a 120Hz display. I’m not currently using this.

I haven't tried this yet.  Haven't noticed any issues on my 60hz 4k TV.

- Or are you using v-sync? I understand v-sync eliminates tearing if FPS > refresh rate… true? I’m currently using NV CP set to Fast - not sure if that’s ideal.

No v-sync

- Are you using G-Sync on an OLED? Any flicker in dark scenes? It seems frame generation keeps the FPS high enough to mitigate OLED flicker. 

N/A for my system

- Are you running 4K? If so what TLOD? I can run 4K LOD 400 and still have 60-90FPS (after FG) although LOD 200 or even 300 is less CPU bound on my 5800x3D

Yes 4k.  I'm using 300 but can probably push to 400...at least for GA/smaller airport scenarios.  Need to experiment more.

- Are you using DLSS or any other scaling? I’m currently not using any scaling. 

I've been using TAA with no scaling.  This card is powerful enough that the difference between TAA and DLSS is minimal (maybe a few FPS).

- My frame generation setting is greyed-out in MSFS. I had to use the Useropt.CFG file to enable it. Apparently a known bug. 

- What artifacts have you noticed? I’ve noticed the Garmin speed and elevation ticker tape digits are a bit blurry and the flight director can also get a bit soft when moving.

I haven't noticed any glaring artifacts and I've been looking for them 🙂

- Are you using TrackIR? How does it work with FG and artifacting? I haven’t got to this yet  

I haven't tried it yet

- What else?

Overall I love it and am very impressed with the frame generation technology.  It's as advertised in my view.  I'm excited to do a CPU upgrade in the new year to truly unleash the potential of the 4080 (well as excited as one can be about that piece of work!)  

I'm a bit late to this thread but I'll provide what answers I can above in bold.  I've only had time for our or five flights with my 4080 but thought I'd provide my early experiences.  Overall very positive.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Are you guys getting any flickering with a gysnc monitor?  I am getting it but more outside of msfs (example when I tab out of the sim) when the sim is running 

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |