Sign in to follow this  
The Flight Level

Very Interesting Video Relevant to many Discussions on AVSim

That was very interesting.

I was a recreational pilot with several hundred hours of flying time.  The largest aircraft I ever flew was the Piper Aztec.

When I was going for my commercial my flight instructor had a buddy who was Frontier Airlines pilot when they were flying the Convair 580s.

One Sunday my flight instructor was invited out when his buddy was going to test fly a CV580 thta had been in the hangar for maintenance.  He took me along.

We flew around the practice area east of Denver while the pilot performed some tests.  Then he let my flight instructor sit in the left seat and fly it for a while.  

My flight instructor invited me to sit in the left seat.  The Frontier pilot was in the right seat.  I flew a while and did a few turns including a 360 degree turn.  Then the Frontier pilot invited me to fly the approach.  I did a pretty good job but the Frontier guy took over as we crossed the threshold and finished the landing.  My flight instructor told me all airplanes fly the same.  If you make the nose of the airplane go where you want it to go the rest has to follow.  That's true.  The problem is making the nose go where you want it to go.

So, the question is could I land a B737?  I think I could as long as I had the autopilot.  Could I hand fly it to touchdown?  I don't think so.  Not cold without having flown it or something like it before.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.