Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Can someone explain this?

Guest Dave65

In FSX,when I go to the outside view,the plane textures do not show,in other works it looks like a grey shell,then it appears,is there a way to stop this?I have an EVGA 8800 GTX video card.Thanks

Guest firehawk44

Is it a default aircraft, a commercial add-on, or a FS9 aircraft merged with FSX? You may be missing a texture folder if a commercial add-on or FS9 aircraft. If it's all the default aircraft then it's probably your video card drivers or display settings. Your video card should render excellent textures.Best regards,Jim

Guest BobKK

This is normal. If you are in the cockpit view for say, over 10 seconds and then go to the outside view, you'll will see the gray-shelled aircraft for a second or so, then the textures will load and you'll get the entire plane with all the textures.But try this. Go from spot view to cockpit view, then after say, 2-3 seconds, go back to the spot view. No gray shell this time. The exterior aircraft textures load immediately. This indicates to me that, in example two, that the aircraft textures are in L1 or L2 so you see them immediately. (Phil or anyone else, if I'm incorrect about this, please educate me).But if you're in cockpit view for over 10 seconds or so, the aircraft exterior textures are replaced in L1 or L2 by other data, so going back to the exterior view requires them to be loaded again from main memory, thus the lag time waiting for them to be loaded. Bob

Guest Dave65

>This is normal. If you are in the cockpit view for say,>over 10 seconds and then go to the outside view, you'll will>see the gray-shelled aircraft for a second or so, then the>textures will load and you'll get the entire plane with all>the textures.>>But try this. Go from spot view to cockpit view, then after>say, 2-3 seconds, go back to the spot view. No gray shell>this time. The exterior aircraft textures load immediately. >>This indicates to me that, in example two, that the aircraft>textures are in L1 or L2 so you see them immediately. (Phil>or anyone else, if I'm incorrect about this, please educate>me).>>But if you're in cockpit view for over 10 seconds or so, the>aircraft exterior textures are replaced in L1 or L2 by other>data, so going back to the exterior view requires them to be>loaded again from main memory, thus the lag time waiting for>them to be loaded. >>Bob That is exactly right,if you only stay in the cockpit for a second or two,it stays textured,but waiting a few seconds or longer it is grayed out for a short time.The aircraft is the CLS DC-10 but it happens with other aircraft also..I thought maybe there was a setting I had to change or something.I will deal with it since it is normal.Thanks guys:)

Same here at least partially.You place no time limit on what you are seeing, so I am assuming that the "gray shell" stays there much longer than the few seconds talked about in another reply. If not, ignore me.As particularly a long flight developes, it takes what seems like forever for textures to update on my system as well, including the aircraft when I switch to spot view. Sometimes it is minutes, not seconds if it updates at all before I give up. If I pause the flight and am willing to wait long enough, they eventually update and I get my aircraft textures back as well. To my surprise, some of the time later in such a flight, I get a complete airplane instantly, but this is somewhat rare.I would suggest that you go to spot view, fly a few hundred feet over a road for a lengthy time and see what your other textures are doing as well. It may not just be the view switch.Respectfully:RTH

Guest BobKK

The question for me is, is there any solution to fix this annoyance. I have a core-2 duo processor and the L2 cache is already 4MB (shared between both cores), which by historical standards is very large. So I don't know if there is any software solution that would work. I think we will have to wait for future processors that will have larger (much larger?) L1 and L2 caches.

Guest Dave65

A friend of mine tells me that if you have enough memory,and in my case I have 4 gig,to change the amount of virtual memory used,I haven't tryed this yet but I will and see what happens.

Guest Tarasdad

RAM is your friend in this issue. The more, the better, especially on your graphics card - while keeping in mind that your OS may have a limit as to how much it can "see" at a time. WinXP only "sees" 2GB. This total includes graphics RAM, so if you have a 512MB graphics card the OS will only see 1.5GB of system RAM.Basically the textures unload to free up graphics memory for other things. If you're in flight, the external textures will be replaced by ground textures in your field of view, or weather textures, etc. Once you switch to the outside view the system has to reload those external textures. Depending on the speed of your hard drive and front side bus there will be a delay in getting them redrawn. Having more memory available to store textures will help, but it's not an absolute cure.

Guest Dave65

>RAM is your friend in this issue. The more, the better,>especially on your graphics card - while keeping in mind that>your OS may have a limit as to how much it can "see" at a>time. WinXP only "sees" 2GB. This total includes graphics RAM,>so if you have a 512MB graphics card the OS will only see>1.5GB of system RAM.>>Basically the textures unload to free up graphics memory for>other things. If you're in flight, the external textures will>be replaced by ground textures in your field of view, or>weather textures, etc. Once you switch to the outside view the>system has to reload those external textures. Depending on the>speed of your hard drive and front side bus there will be a>delay in getting them redrawn. Having more memory available to>store textures will help, but it's not an absolute cure.Hmm,that makes sence,my 8800 GTX has 768 memory,so even less system memory is being seen.My system sees 2.93 for memory...

Sorry, no prize for that statement, both XP32 and Vista32 are 32 bit OS and their total addressable space is 4GBs (2**32). However, They normally limit applications to 2GB. The graphics card memory mapping is, I believe, outside of this 2GB address space. I have a Nvidia 8800GTX and don't have the problems described (WinXp SP2)with 2GB memory so it is something else on your system that is causing the issue. It is possible to make both XP and Vista use up to 3GB of actual memory and to change apps so that they can take full advantage of this. (The fourth GB of address space is used for systems stuff including the Graphics address space). Here is link for the Vista solution found on the same page as this topic.http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...99256&mode=fullThe search key is your friend.To solve these issues one needs to examine what else is going on whilst FSX is running which means that no one else can really help but a read of forum topics may provide avenues that you might like to investigate.IIRC earlier posts suggested that monitoring FSX showed that it was using up to 1.7Gb of memory so FSX will run satisfactorily on 2GB provided no other application(s)/service(s) bulldoze their way through memory and CPU cycles whilst FSX is running.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

YEP, Been there, done that!I have tried the modifications for memory edits etc. It sure cures out of memory errors even with 4GB of memory, but has done nothing realive to blurries in my book. I didn't give my specs as they are on a number of other posts. They are attached to this reply for what it is worth. Not top of the line but close enough I would think to perform adeauately.I agree, it is something else besides memory. Seems my situation may be improving a bit, but school is still out on this issue, especially compared to FS9. (Yea, I have heard the bit on "FSX is not FS9", but there are two sides to that question, both positive and negative. I really don't have a clue as to what I imagine the improvement is. May be my playing around with the texture bandwidth settings under Display, and Poolsize in the BufferPools sections of the FSX.cfg file, but there has not been enough time to confirm this.Thanks:RTHASUS P5N-E-SLI MotherboardIntel E6600 Core2 Duo CPUZalman CNPS7700-CU RT CPU Fam4 GB KST DII800 MemoryWinXP ProNVIDIA VCG8800GTX 768MB Primary Video Graphics Card21