The title and comments about what the forum is for make me wonder if this is the place to ask a question about MSFS.  It is not about VR just the running of the programme.

Should I ask it here?  If not then where, please?

2 minutes ago, rog943 said:

The title and comments about what the forum is for make me wonder if this is the place to ask a question about MSFS.  It is not about VR just the running of the programme.

Should I ask it here?  If not then where, please?

Ask here: https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/863-microsoft-flight-simulator-2020/

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitor: 32” ASUS PG32UCDM 240hz 4K | Additional Hardware: HP Reverb G2, TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Thank you Sierra Delta for your reply.  A circular one and which still leaves me trying to make the point gently that if you're looking for an answer on the forum about MSFS generally you don't see any guidance there.  One bullet-pointed section warns off putting questions on there and the other section is posted as being to do with VR.  End of.

Let me make the point that I do appreciate the time and effort people put in to make the website and the forum work.  Thank you to you all.  That doesn't mean that I can't gently point something out that I think doesn't work very well.  That's what I was trying to do.

Whatever.  My actual question will seem rather puerile, but I'll ask it anyway.  When I start the game it goes to the 'checking for updates' page, stays there for what seems a long wait before completing the load.  During the wait the icon shaped like a spring washer - an incomplete circle - doesn't move at all.  Logic suggests that it ought to turn to tell me it is actually looking for updates, but it doesn't.   Could it be that the Update Manager is not actually working?

I see a lot of people do post in various places about Stuck on Update Page or similar.

Or is the 'I am looking' icon being stationary the way it should be?

No questions are puerile, @rog943🙂

The boot up goes to a 'checking for updates' section  because msfs, unlike many other programs, won't let you boot up unless you are on the latest fully released version.

By the same logic, if after this check, whether or not the circular update arrow moved, the program continues to boot up, then you can be assured that it has done the check and there are no updates applicable.

The servers used by asobo/microsoft are sometimes slow/unreliable - and your own network clearly has an impact - and this is why, particularly at earlier versions, folks had problems where it would get stuck at this stage.

But, if it finally boots up to the main menu screen, you're up to date and good to go!

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

Thanks AJZip,

I appreciate your explanation.  I have actually reinstalled the programme and it works just the same.  Fortunately I hadn't got too deeply involved to lose much.

Intuitiveness, makes us expect things that don't always happen!  It's Christmas so lets hope there's less of that around.

All the best to you and all.

• Like 1