Sign in to follow this  
irocx

Saving Display Settings in FSX

Hi all, Forgive my ignorance but, in FS9 when you changed display settings the changes were saved and loaded the next time you started the sim. In FSX, whenever I make changes to the display (scenery) settings etc, they will not save. I have tried saving them in a profile, but the last profile I have used doesn't get loaded either. Are the settings being loaded somehow tied to the default flight I saved?How can I get the changes I make the display settings to be loaded the next time I start the sim up? I am burning up my ram having to constantly re-load flights before I even begin to fly.Thanks!Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.3GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 7.1's6x AA/16x HQ A/FDiamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530'sDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals - Saitek Throttle

Regards, Kendall

Kendall,the normal FSX operation is to save the current settings in FSX.CFG each time you exit the program.I loaded the sim, went into settings, bumped my FPS up 2 to 22; closed the sim and then checked the most recent save date associated with the file and the contents. The adjustment to 22fps was saved. If yours really isn't saving changes then it's evident that something is amiss.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/177124.jpgCan you open the file manually, make changes and see the changes in the sim? Is the file accidentally marked as 'read only'? Are you using Vista or XP?Are you a user on the system with administrative access? Have you attempted a 'repair' of the installation. Can other applications save files ok?Try removing the FSX.CFG file from its default location and allowing FSX to build a new one -- see if the new one will update normally...Best of luck.Loyd

Hi Loyd, Sorry for not including some pertinent information. I run XP Home, have admin rights and no trouble saving files. I just finished my flight and restarted the sim and it dawned on me as to why no display setting changes are being saved. EVERY time I close out FSX I get an error message, something about an exception with the UI module being the culprit. I send the report and uncheck the restart radio button. Interestingly, none of these app errors are being logged in the event viewer, so I'll have to post back with the specifics. This is a two week old clean FSX w/SP1 and only minor, documented CFG changes. I also run dual monitor. I will try a CFG rebuild and see if that helps. Thanks for the help!EDIT: I just did the cfg rebuild and same result:Error on exit - Module name: UI.DLL Module version: 10.0.61355.0 This almost seems related to multi monitor use because when I restart the sim after the error the HOME screen is displayed instead of the Free Flight screen and it's on the secondary monitor. Also, it's nice to see my joystick settings preserved after a cfg rebuild - nice job ACES!.Anyone else with a suggestion?Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.3GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 7.1's6x AA/16x HQ A/FDiamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530'sDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals - Saitek Throttle

Regards, Kendall

Anyone else getting this error on close and what module is affected? Thanks.Regards, KendallDell 8400 3.2 GHZ H.T.3GB 533 DDR2X800XT 256MB/Catalyst driver - 7.1's6x AA/16x HQ A/FDiamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530'sDual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905CH Yoke/Pedals - Saitek Throttle

Regards, Kendall