Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Learned to fly from there ....

It all started in early June 1980. I arrived to LPSC where the bigger hangar represented in the linked scenery bellow didn't exist, and my first glider training flight took place in the good old CS-PBY, a Blanik L-13....

Very good memories of those days 🙂 which @Lonepilot (great friend Pedro Lima, since many years of flightsimming) kindly helped me remind, using XP12 and the scenery he updated for the new version of the simulator.

LPSC - Santa Cruz Mun. Aerodrome, Portugal (X-Plane 12) - Scenery Packages - X-Plane.Org Forum

Edited by cagarini
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!)  Honestly, nothing beats this one....

6 minutes ago, cagarini said:

It all started in early June 1980. I arrived to LPSC where the bigger hangar represented in the linked scenery bellow didn't exist, and my first glider training flight took place in the good old CS-PBY, a Blanik L-13....

Very good memories of those days 🙂 which @Lonepilot (great friend Pedro Lima, since many years of flightsimming) kindly helped me remind, using XP12 and the scenery he updated for the new version of the simulator.

LPSC - Santa Cruz Mun. Aerodrome, Portugal (X-Plane 12) - Scenery Packages - X-Plane.Org Forum

Thank you dear José!

It gives me also very good memories, it is the place where I learned to fly...
In my profile photo it's me grabbing a cessna 182's propeller, and in the background you can see the 2nd hangar in construction (c. 1984)...😉

• Like 1

Pedro Lima
"The sky is the home of birds... we are just guests... guests of honor" Peter Besenyei
"...redundancy is very important in aviation; that is why airplanes have 2 wings instead of 1!" M.S.A.Q.
My videos

Great story Jose! I will be picking up that one, might I even suggest a 3d billboard should be added "Here the Legendary Jcomm AKA Uninstaller took his first steps in Aviation" !! 😁😎

• Like 2

Alexis Mefano

Santa Cruz is a Railway station here ! 😀

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

2 hours ago, Humpty said:

Santa Cruz is a Railway station here ! 😀

IRL far from being the ideal spot to learn flying gliders too - as bad as a railways station 🙂

Very few chances for landing out, elevated terrain to the south (even had a football camp there with one of the goals aligned with the threshold of rw 35 :-)... And we did winch from there, until an accident put an end to it, thankfully no serious injures to the 2 pilots...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

Main flight simulator: MSFS 2020... (😍 IT !!!)  Honestly, nothing beats this one....

2 minutes ago, cagarini said:

IRL far from being the ideal spot to learn flying gliders too - as bad as a railways station 🙂

Very few chances for landing out, elevated terrain to the south (even had a football camp there with one of the goals aligned with the threshold of rw 35 :-)... And we did winch from there, until an accident put an end to it, thankfully no serious injures to the 2 pilots...

It seems to many gliding incident in Porta

It does have an airport though 🙂 it's called VAJJ (rememeber ?) 

Santacruz is a suburb in Mumbai. 

Edited by Humpty

7 minutes ago, Humpty said:

It seems to many gliding incident in Porta

It does have an airport though 🙂 it's called VAJJ (rememeber ?) 

Santacruz is a suburb in Mumbai. 

Only two fatal accidents in Portugal involving gliders since it all started in the years of the last Century...

100 ANOS DO VOO À VELA EM PORTUGAL (primeiro voo: 14/11/1909) (vooavela.net)

Edited by cagarini

Main Simulation Rig:

11 minutes ago, cagarini said:

Only two fatal accidents in Portugal involving gliders since it all started in the years of the last Century...

100 ANOS DO VOO À VELA EM PORTUGAL (primeiro voo: 14/11/1909) (vooavela.net)

Ok. But i do remember you mentioning a few more glding incidents.

37 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Ok. But i do remember you mentioning a few more glding incidents.

There were a few yes, the last one exactly at LPMN, destroying our PW-6U out of any viable repair...

Thankfully both pilots suffered injuries but are recovering well. 

The tow cable detached from the tow plane just as they took off from rw 21. 

News of the Accident with a PW6-U @ LPMN November 2022

Although the newspaper state "seriously injured", this was thankfully not the case. Both pilots are in good shape!

Edited by cagarini

Main Simulation Rig: