Sign in to follow this  
RandallR

TBM 930 Coupled VNAV Non-Functional

7 hours ago, tup61 said:

Are you sure you completely deleted any (slightly) related mods from your community folder? So every mod that has to do with the TBM, the G3000, perhaps simply remove EVERY mod temporarily.

There are 0 mods that have anything to do with the TBM in my folder.  The only things in the folder the last few days were Navigraph and Bijan's Seasons.  I guess I'll remove the Seasons for a flight but I sure don't want to lose my charts.

7 hours ago, tup61 said:

Come to think of it: when you say you activated VNAV, do you mean on the AP or in the system (VNAV on the Flight plan page, using the GTC)? After the AAU1 update VNAV is always on and calculated

Yes, I've noted that VNAV is always on in the GTC now and it always indicates the altitude restrictions.  However, arming VNV on the AP panel gives me no TOD on the map and the aircraft never descends.

7 hours ago, JYW said:

Certainly the incompatible mods thing can be relevent.  I flew the CJ4 yesterday and found an old cockpit textures mod for it, so tried it out.   I then found I had no autopilot modes whatsoever... from a texture mod!

Yep - I have a group of liveries for the TBM I love and have had too doctor a few times after updates.  They haven't caused any issues since the update with normal flight operations of the TBM.  However, when the new VNAV capability didn't function I immediately removed them - apparently they had nothing to do with the issue.

21 hours ago, btacon said:

Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the TBM? That might be a good first step.
-B

Following your recommendation, I attempted to remove the TBM in the Content Manager.  It will not allow it.  I was able to remove the 4 awful livery models but not the original aircraft.

On another note, in a conversation with a YouTube producer I learned that discontinuities in the FP can interfere/disconnect the VNAV system.  I realized that I had a discontinuity in the STAR for the last flight (it required a vector to the IAF, so I simply did a DIR TO to join the approach).  Now I'm wondering if this discontinuity may have kept VNAV from activating...  the journey continues...

• Upvote 1

Randall Rocke

Another failure.  I removed the Seasons mod and had no discontinuities in the FP.  VNAV information on the GTC was correct including destination runway elevation.

But, once again, no TOD (until in approach procedure), no coupled descent.

Randall Rocke

1 hour ago, RandallR said:

Another failure.  I removed the Seasons mod and had no discontinuities in the FP.  VNAV information on the GTC was correct including destination runway elevation.

But, once again, no TOD (until in approach procedure), no coupled descent.

Howdy. Why don’t you post your FP so a few of us can load the it up and see what happens?

2 hours ago, btacon said:

Howdy. Why don’t you post your FP so a few of us can load the it up and see what happens?

KPSM (Portsmouth, NH) to KMPO (Mt. Pocono, PA):

KPSM/34 DCT CON DCT CAM DCT CTR DCT HUO DCT KMPO/SCOUP.R31 (RNAV Rwy 31)

This is the 4th failure of VNAV for me with 4 different flights/destinations, so I believe I've got something weird going on that is systemic to my installation.  I do not have issues like this with any other aircraft or NAV systems.

Edited by RandallR
  • Upvote 1

Randall Rocke

3 hours ago, RandallR said:

KPSM/34 DCT CON DCT CAM DCT CTR DCT HUO DCT KMPO/SCOUP.R31 (RNAV Rwy 31)

Flying you route right now. Climbing to FL230. Just over 190 at CON and just as FMS predicts, a big TOD is splatted directly over HUO. 

I’ll report the results. I’m also capturing video of the flght

-B

Edit:Just past HUO and as predicted a VNAV decent was initiated by the G3000.  One thing occurred to me and was validated it in flight (also on video) is not only must watch VNAV be enabled but you must be in Active  NAV FMS.  Active NAV Loc1 will track the flight path, but it will have no VNAV and report GS not available 

Edited by btacon

Never, ever got a TOD marker after the update in the TBM (on the flight route).

A TOD marker did appear briefly while in the approach, but at that point I was no longer in NAV mode.  Even it was strange - it would fade in and out which I've never seen happen before.

Randall Rocke

56 minutes ago, RandallR said:

Never, ever got a TOD marker after the update in the TBM (on the flight route).

A TOD marker did appear briefly while in the approach, but at that point I was no longer in NAV mode.  Even it was strange - it would fade in and out which I've never seen happen before.

Well, I flew your route with the TBM 3 times and each time it performed flawlessly, computing a TOD, initiating descent right down to the FAF. And in each case when inside the IAF but before the FAF I initiated an approach on the autopilot which then dutifully placed a white (not green) GS on the PFD.  The VNAV had the plane to FAF altitude prior to the fix.  Next action would then be to capture the GP at FAF and descend to RWY.  That’s how it’s supposed to work, and three times using the TBS on an RNAV approach it failed to capture GP.  Thinking it might me me I loaded up my brand new Black Square Bonanza with TDS GTNxi and shot a perfect RNAV as expected the first time. 

Something seems amiss with here with the AAU1. I’m testing more tomorrow and anyone else is welcome to join. 
-B

Edited by btacon

9 hours ago, btacon said:

That’s how it’s supposed to work, and three times using the TBS on an RNAV approach it failed to capture GP.  Thinking it might me me I loaded up my brand new Black Square Bonanza with TDS GTNxi and shot a perfect RNAV as expected the first time.

That's especially ironic, considering that I've had 0 issues with any approach procedures with the TBM and the AAU1 update.  It has flawlessly performed all coupled approaches, including ILS and several flavors of RNAV.  After I manually descended for the approach into KMPO, I activated the approach and got a white icon approaching the GP - as I approached the FAF she turned green and dutifully descended me to the threshold.

So, for me, she'll make coupled approaches but fails to perform coupled VNAV.  On that last flight I recorded a number of screenshots and am preparing to report this via Zendesk.  I thought I might have the dreaded situation where I have to remove and completely reinstall FS2020 - something I've never had to do but am willing to suffer it it will get the TBM back in service for me.  Now that I see I'm not the only one experiencing issues I'll just fly other aircraft for a while and see what develops.

Thanks so much for helping me investigate this.  This is a great community of enthusiasts without which flight simulation would be half as enjoyable.

Randall Rocke

1 hour ago, RandallR said:

Thanks so much for helping me investigate this.  This is a great community of enthusiasts without which flight simulation would be half as enjoyable.

Morning Randall. Funny thing these Flight Simulators. Last night I struck out 3 times using the TBM but this morning on try #4 it went off without a hitch!

I suspect there are some programming inconsistencies involved.  Truth is tho, at this time I can’t tell if the programming inconsistencies are with the G3000 or with  me. 😎

You’ve opened a ticket now and if there is any WT smoke to this fire I’m sure t will surface. Otherwise, there’s always the tried and true adage, “Practice Makes Perfect”! 😇.

-B

Success, everyone!  It was obvious to me from the beginning that since I was the only one experiencing issues with the TBM after the update that there was corruption in the TBM files afterward.  I was hoping that there was a way to reinstall the Update without reinstalling the Sim!  As the TBM cannot be removed from  the Content Manager, I was at a loss.

Bert Pieke came to the rescue, recommending that I remove the TBM folders from the official MSFS folder.  I did so, and, during the restart FS detected the missing aircraft and reinstalled that part of the update.  Holding my breath, I took the TBM up for another flight and the new VNAV capabilities worked perfectly:

VNAV now indicates TOD info on the GTC:
52751220066_a0f9dc521c.jpg

The TOD now appears on the MFD flight plan route:
52751626280_faf3ca0cd7_b.jpg

VPATH now activates at the appropriate point on the PFD and I get a coupled descent:
52751455459_d3e22222b5_b.jpg

It's great to have this capability.  I do miss the aircraft flight-modeling of the mod which was much smoother and more realistic.  It is much "twitchier" and vertical trim seems to be especially off?

Edited by RandallR
  • Like 1

Randall Rocke