Sign in to follow this  
skyhawk13

Flight of the Phoenix and new member

Hello everyone, wanted to say Hi to all members and introduce myself. Just signed up to the forum. It's been awhile since I flew in a flight sim. Last time was in FSX. Now that FS2020 is out, can't wait to get back in the hobby. In the process of building a new computer and a home cockpit setup. Have a question for forum members. Was wondering if anyone knew of any aircraft and or scenery files for FSX and or FS2020 that would depict the movie scenes from the 1965 movie, Flight of the Phoenix. It's my favorite movie ever since I was a child and inspired me to become a pilot. Last time I checked, someone had created files depicting this for FS2004. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've seen it 2 or 3 times. Based on a true story of course. Jimmy Stewart.

Another vaguely similar movie is Sands of the Kalahari came out the same year 1965 Stuart Whitman (after Marlin Brand walked out of the movie). Entirely fiction. 

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Hi, thanks for responding and nice to hear from you. Yes, Jimmy Stewart and a host of other awesome actors. Had the privilege several years ago of meeting Ernest Borgnine and talking with George Kennedy over the phone. In both cases, I was able to ask them about their experiences in being in the movie. As to being based on a true story, I also thought that when I was a kid. My bubble was burst when I discovered it wasn't. The movie is based on a novel by Elleston Trevor. It would have been incredible if it had.

The closet thing I ever saw to something similar was a NOVA program called B-29 Frozen in Time. Awesome show and a must watch if you like airplanes. When I first saw it, I thought my God, this is Flight of the Phoenix in real life.

If you had purchased the C-119 boxcar from Aero[lane Heaven, then they were offering the Phoenix for free.

https://www.flusinews.de/2018/11/c-119f-von-aeroplane-heaven-veroeffentlicht/

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thanks for that piece of information. However, I am looking for the version used in the original 1965 movie. That plane was a C-82 Packet. The C-119 was used in the remake version. Both planes were made by Fairchild.

c82phx.zip  In the Library here.  It's for FS2004 but might be ok for FSX.  I would try it just to see.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Thanks, I appreciate it. By the way, I have a custom built home cockpit flight deck I would like to sell. Would like to advertise it on this forum. How do I go about that?

7 minutes ago, skyhawk13 said:

Thanks, I appreciate it. By the way, I have a custom built home cockpit flight deck I would like to sell. Would like to advertise it on this forum. How do I go about that?

Put an ad in the classifieds!  It says you need to be a member in good standing with 16 or more posts to your name, but maybe make a nice site donation if you sell!  I'll approve the posting.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/forum/513-classified-ads-want-ads-swap-meet/

Charlie Aron

Thanks and I will. I assume you can post photos too? If not, I will link to a video on YouTube if that is okay.

Photos are OK.  Leave out the video.

Charlie Aron