Sign in to follow this  
scottike

C310 LVAR detected as BVAR

I’m mapping the Blackbird C310R EDM700 buttons using their LVARS. Three of the for buttons map correctly. The fourth L:C310_SW_EDMR_L ends up mapping in AAO as a BVAR. Any advice on where to look to troubleshoot the problem?

Edited by scottike

58 minutes ago, scottike said:

Three of the for buttons map correctly.  The fourth L:C310_SW_EDMR_L ends up mapping in AAO as a BVAR.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what that means. Can you be more specific?

What does "mapping" mean? Where are you seeing a "mapping" while doing what exactly?

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Just to lay down the general rules: AAO doesn't care if a variable name exists or not, it will try to process anything and everything. All these internal lists and the methods to read vars from the sim or from the XML files are only there to make finding variable names easier for the user - nothing more. You can just as well pick the variable names from the MSFS developer mode with the Ctrl&G method or from any resource on the Net.

AAO doesn't have to "know" a variable, you can always type any variable name directly into an RPN script. You can also add any variable name to the internal database if you want, so they can be selected directly for a button - but that is in no way required, and technically it makes no difference if you do this or call a script with your button. See the lower portion of the "Scripting" menu for adding variables and events to the database.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

I'm a basic user of AAO, so I'll just describe in more detail what I've done. With the Blackbird C310R loaded I selected Scripting -> Read LVARs from Sim in the AAO interface. Then I selected two simulator events from the Found in Files category, C310_SW_EDML_L and C310_SW_EDMR_L. 

Under the assigned buttons list there is L:C310_SW_EDML_L which functions as expected and B:C310_SW_EDMR_L which does not.

If you are certain about the LVar name, go to "Scripting->Input custom variables manually" and add the variable name there

Or wrap it into an RPN script and assign that to your button. This has the benefit that you can test the code right in the editor to make sure that you got the name right (and that the value is correct too, it doesn't have to be "1")

1 (>L:C310_SW_EDMR_L, Number)

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

I ended up putting it into an RPN script. The custom variables only had K: and B: selections, so I was unsure if they would work for an LVAR. In any case, the RPN script worked well, so I’m up and running.

Thanks for the help!

3 hours ago, scottike said:

I ended up putting it into an RPN script. The custom variables only had K: and B: selections, so I was unsure if they would work for an LVAR. In any case, the RPN script worked well, so I’m up and running.

Thanks for the help!

I think that you were looking at the wrong dialog. What you describe is the "Input custom EVENTS manually" dialog. Right below that menu option is "Input custom VARIABLES manually".

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Turns out that this is actually a bug on the "Change Button" dialog. It will not happen on "Add button".

The bug has been added to the list at the top of this forum thread and will be fixed in 3.01

LORBY-SI