Sign in to follow this  
michal

Cessna 172-Stays in Turn Except For RealAir??

Guest christian

Sorry to chime in, but how do you define "neutral controls"? Surely if you trim your aircraft it's not neutral anymore (ie trim = elevator deviation)?Christian

First let me make a correction = the Cessna I used was not Carenado but Flight-1.According to what I am seeing none of the aircraft in FS9 or X do a perfect job at this task. Now is the time for the usual reminder - "what do you expect for $70". For moderate turns of 30 degrees or less the RealAir 172 seems to have it right and it returns to wings level over time. Assume all trims are for level flight and no wind. Once you exceed some amount of banking a point is reached where either the aircraft seems to hold that point or the bank becomes more severe resulting in a possible spin.IF the Cessna 172 is designed with positive lateral buoyancy then the 172 should always return to wings level with a "reasonable" amount of bank. Those models at moderate banking that stay in bank despite the centering of the yoke appear to be faulty. I suspect that very severe banking may give unpredictable results in terms of detailed incremental actions. You can probably count on a spin at the extremes.Regards,Dick BoleyA PC, an LCD, speakers, CH yoke

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

>First let me make a correction = the Cessna I used was not>Carenado but Flight-1.Flight1 Cessna 172 is the best Skyhawk I ever tried in MSFS.>seems>to have it right and it returns to wings level over time.Your opinion. I stated many times (I have about 270 hrs in real 172) that this is not to be expected in a real aircraft, any aircraft, not only the 172. I suggest you read some textbook on aerodynamics (I have provided a good link on roll stability above) that will enlighten you on the subject of positive lateral buoyancy?. But you can definitely pick an aircraft that works best for you.Michael J.

Guest cr8nkaos

>If you ever flew real Cessna with an instructor when steep turns>are practiced it is not a big deal to trim the 172 that the>airplane will be both turning and not losing altitude, even>with 45 or 60 deg bank, all skilled pilots can do it well. I have plenty of time in a real cessna (I'm just a few hours away from my instrument checkride and all my training was done in 172's). If any instructor ever lets you trim an airplane for level flight while in a steep turn, find a new instructor. Think about it, as soon as you roll out of the turn, the nose of the airplane will point upward (think about the 60 degree, 2g rule, when you return to zero degrees of bank, you only need about half the lift, but you are trimmed for twice that).

>Your opinion. I stated many times (I have about 270 hrs in>real 172) that this is not to be expected in a real aircraft,>any aircraft, not only the 172. I suggest you read some>textbook on aerodynamics (I have provided a good link on roll>stability above) that will enlighten you on the subject of>positive lateral buoyancy?. >>But you can definitely pick an aircraft that works best for>you.>>Michael J.Your posts in this thread stink of arrogance. http://sio.midco.net/FTP5/thumbdown.gif

It has been a long time since I flew a Cessna-but plenty of intructors in my area that use Cessna 172's advocate trimming the plane in a steep turn for "hands off" flying of the procedure.Trim reduces control forces. If one trims while in the steep turn there will be less work involved- then rolling out of the steep turn-one will have to point the nose downward and of course retrim to reduce the forces-of course if one didn't touch the controls to pitch to correct attitude and didn't retrim perhaps your scenerio would happen-but who in their right mind would not re-adjust? In a similar vein-doesn't the same happen in a go around? One will have to apply power and point the nose in the right direction at the go around point -and of course retrim from the landing position-the control forces may be considerable at that point but to do otherwise would be a problem.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

> Think about it, as soon as you roll out of the turn, the nose>of the airplane will point upward (think about the 60 degree,>2g rule, when you return to zero degrees of bank, you only>need about half the lift, but you are trimmed for twice>that).I never trimmed for a 60 deg bank but certainly trimmed for a 45 deg bank. Not a big deal if you know how to fly the airplane and how to overpower controls if necessary. The forces are reasonable and transition from steep turn to wings level can be spread over some time to allow more time to re-trim. Again, for a pilot who knows how to handle airplane and anticipate things - not a big deal, there are certainly more challenging maneuvers in aviation.Michael J.