Sign in to follow this  
BillStewart

is this normal?

Hello, new user here.  I just flew a simbrief plan from KIAD to KJFK.  ATC directed me to 22L to land but only asked me to descend down to 7000 ft by the time I was a few miles from the airport.  Obviously, there wasn't enough time/distance to get down to 3000 which is what the ILS chart said I should be at.   Is there a setting I need to select to get this changed so I get down to a much lower altitude earlier in the approach phase?

hanks

Bill

It might be, depending on the situation.  If you get cleared for the approach or told to descend via a transition, then you are cleared to fly the published approach, including descent to the published altitudes.

If you are not on the latest Beta version of P2A, you should update as there were some descent issues in the released version and some of the earlier Beta versions.

Dave

So I tried same flight and same issue.  Basically I flew star, then ATC says to descend to 17000.  (about 40 miles out)  then I'm 5 miles out and it says to descend to 15000, then in same sentence it says descend to 5000 and then 3000 with two heading changes and cleared for ILS approach.  This doesn't seem right to me.  I should be stepping down way sooner.  Obviously I couldn't get down in time and to circle until altitude is at 3k for ILS approach.

Make sure you are using the latest Beta version of P2A as some earlier versions had issues with descent instructions.

If it happens with the latest beta, then please email the log file for the flight to admin@p2atc.com so I can see what's going on.

P2A Log files are located in:

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\P2A_200\Logs

where <UserName> is your PC user name. 

Portions of the path may be hidden by default, so be sure Windows Explorer has Show Hidden Items checked in the View tab.

A new one is created each time you start Pilot2ATC, and is closed when you shut it down. So if you take the most recent one after you have the error and after you shut down P2A, you should have the correct one.  

Dave