Sign in to follow this  
Flypops

Squawk Code 1200 (For IFR Flight)?

Several times now while filing my flight plan for an IFR flight I will get a squawk code that would be appropriate for an IFR flight. Then I taxi to the runway and upon getting takeoff clearance from the tower, the last instruction will tell me to squawk code 1200. I've always thought 1200 was strictly VFR. Anyone else getting this?

You are correct that 1200 is strictly a VFR code.

That could happen if anything changed in the Flt Plan while taxiing out, which would then void the IFR clearance given earlier.  Then, when you ask Tower for takeoff, it sees not valid filed IFR plan and assumes you are wanting to takeoff without a filed plan, making it a VFR flight.

Thanks for your reply Dave. But this is happening when nothing in the flight plan changed. And the "File" button remains green.

Please email the P2A Log File to admin@p2atc.com for a flight where this happens, and I will have a look to see what's going on.

P2A Log files are located in:

C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\P2A_200\Logs

where <UserName> is your PC user name. 
Portions of the path may be hidden by default, so be sure Windows Explorer has Show Hidden Items checked in the View tab.

After closing P2A after a flight, the log file is written and would be the most recent log file.

Dave

Edited by Dave-Pilot2ATC

Something similar has happened to me a few times lately. After requesting VFR clearance (flight following) I recieved a random squawk code just to be changed back to 1200 after been handed off to center. If mid flight I request traffic advisories I am given a random squawk no. again. I'll check my logs or post the plan next time it happens.

Hello,

I hope it's okay to hijack a post from 3 months ago, but I had the exact same problem as Flypops. As soon as I get my take-off-clearance, I get asigned Squawk 1200 wiithout anything changing with the flightplan, as far as I can tell.

This time I pulled through with the flight nontheless and still got assigned frequency-changes and new altitudes up to my filed cruise-level but never got an arrival/approach and was lead back down to an altitude of 3900ft far to early. So I crawled along at that altitude for 30 Min. and basically half of my 300NM flight with an A320 until I was certain I wouldn't get assigned an approach and then closed P2ATC. 

I'm currently using Version 2.7.0.0_x64_Beta5

That only happens if you do something that the program interprets as changing to a VFR flight plan.

If you send me your P2A log file, I'll have a look and see what went wrong.

P2A Log files are located in: 
C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\P2A_200\Logs 
where <UserName> is your PC user name. 
Portions of the path may be hidden by default, so be sure Windows Explorer has Show Hidden Items checked in the View tab.

A new one is created each time you start Pilot2ATC, and is closed when you shut it down. So if you take the most recent one after you have the error and after you shut down P2A, you should have the correct one.  
Dave