So in a change from seemingly constant topics asking if a 4080/4090 and 13700K/13900K are fast enough for MFS (well yes DUH, they're top tier, stop bragging about how much you're spending!), here's a thread about something us mere mortals can potentially afford!

I was hoping the Nvidia RTX 4060 Ti would be the GPU sweetspot of this generation but it has left a large gulf in performance and price before the RTX 4070. The professional reviews all pretty much draw the same conclusions and were fairly negative:
  • Isn't as fast as an RTX 3070
  • Only offers single digit percentage increases above an RTX 3060 Ti
  • It's overpriced at $400 for a 1080p card, you would be better buying:
    - a used 3060 Ti. Only real reason you'd get the 4060Ti over that is for nVidia's AI features like DLSS3 and frame generation
    - Radeon RX6700 XT or RX 6570 XT that would deliver the same performance for less money with more VRAM (12GB) but you lose the above AI features. Plenty of stock as they've been out over a year
  • Marketed as a 1080p card by Nvidia, probably because the 8GB it comes with isn't really enough for 1440p these days.
    - There's a 12GB version coming in July that really should have been the base spec. But it's going to be $100 extra (so total MSRP $500) and that just pushes it too close to RTX 4070 pricing.

I've held onto my GTX980 4GB throughout all the GPU mining nonsense and upgrading to an i5-12400F, having pinned my hopes on the 4060Ti, so I'm very disappointed. I hope the 12 GB will get better reviews and end up costing about $400 as I really want to use DLSS3 and frame generation with MFS. But as it stands I may as well wait until 4070 reduces in price (or I save money) or see if I can find a used one.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Have you looked at a 3080? 12GB of VRAM and it's just a stripped down GA102, not a GA103 chip. I've had mine for over a year and very content with it. It puts out a fair bit of heat, but it's easy to reduce peak power to 70%.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I hadn't to be honest. Just looking now they're selling on eBay UK used for about £430-530 but I have some qualms about how they might've been used previously so may as well have a new 4070 for £570. Everyone was raving about frame generation in MFS so I hung about until I could afford a 40x card that supported it, now I think I regret doing that.

It should be noted I have a very quiet PC apart from the graphics card, so the thermal efficiency of the 40xx appeals too. Also it's an mATX case some of the bigger cards may not fit, especially on the 4070.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

AMD latest 🤐.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

23 hours ago, ckyliu said:

It should be noted I have a very quiet PC apart from the graphics card, so the thermal efficiency of the 40xx appeals too.

That's my only qualm with the 3080 - it is noticeably hot. If you can get similar performance in a cooler and newer card, it makes sense.

Cheers

Edited by Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Those shopping for a 4070 may find

handy, the chap has compared the noise levels of various 4070 cards and the quality of their components.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

support1.jpg

So the 4060 Ti 16 GB is here. And the reviews are very meh, the conclusion is basically that both the 8 or 16 GB cards are $100 too expensive for what they offer. The 16GB version is $100 extra vs the 8 GB and that makes little difference to most current games it's more for future proofing, but also what it should have had from the start. That makes the total price of the card 16GB card $500 (and this is the cheapest card on the market with over 8GB VRAM). The 8GB card is $400, which is more than what you paid 5 years ago for a 1070 with the same amount of VRAM!

Reviews at https://www.techspot.com/review/2714-nvidia-rtx-4060-ti-16gb/ and https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4060-ti-16-gb/40.html indicate an overall performance boost of just 1%, although at higher resolutions with more memory intensive titles you can see upto 20%.

This leaves me with a problem as I can't continue with my GTX980 4GB forever and want a 4 series card for the frame generation and DLSS3, but also can't really justify the $600 of a 4070 for the amount of flying I do, and the $400 4060Ti 8 GB just looks poor value - I wonder if it'll come down to the $300 price point soon as it's not selling very well? The mid-tier market just seems to have been abandoned these days.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

support1.jpg