Sign in to follow this  
scott967

SP1 alongside RTM, or partial install of SP1?

Hi.From how I understand it, the biggest FPS boost in SP1 comes from the batching of autogen. Before SP1, autogen caused a huge performance hit, after SP1, fps is very good even at the higher autogen settings.Whatever changes they did to how textures load however, is a disaster on my single-core system. Default scenery has a hard time staying in focus, often staying at 5m or worse. With photoscenery, it's even worse, and TileProxy is useless with SP1, averaging around 20-30 tiles per second. I uninstalled FSX SP1, and reinstalled FSX without SP1, and texture loading was instantly much faster again. TP now managed 400-800 TPS, generic scenery was always sharp, and VFR GenX was also very sharp even at very high airspeeds.1.Is it possible to run both FSX and FSX SP1 on the same system? That way, I could use SP1 for generic scenery (which is too slow FPS-wise in RTM), and use RTM for tileproxy, vfr scenery etc2.Is it possible to only apply the autogen batching to an installation of RTM? Is it part of the .exe file and would require hacking it (which is illegal), or it is done in some scenery file that can be easily replaced?When I get a dualcore CPU, I'll check to see how texture loading compares between RTM and SP1, but for now, with my older single-core system, the autogen batching is the only interesting change in SP1. The dualcore related changes just makes things worse on my system. I wish they'd retained the old way of doing it for single core systems.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

1. You would probably have to do a dual-boot OS, or image your system to backup and install the desired version.2. There is SP1 content that can be installed in RTM, but that won't do any performance changes.scott s..