Sign in to follow this  
Kalnon

Installing Flight1 BN-2 Islander and American Champion?

I was recently looking at Flight1 FSX aircraft available on the Flight1 Agent app and I noticed two different airplanes that caught my attention, the BN-2 Islander and the American Champion package.  I really want to get these planes and see if they might work in P3Dv5.  My first question, is it even possible to install FSX planes into P3Dv5 using the Flight1 agent installation method?  Will it even allow me to point the installer to P3D?

Does anyone possibly know if they do work for P3Dv5, or what the chances are that they will work?  I've read that there are plenty of FSX aircraft that do work in P3D.  An article I read also stated that aircraft that use best development practices will usually work but planes that are complex or use clever workarounds tend to not work.  These both look like fairly simple aircraft so I think there may be a good chance they will work.

I did a web search and found someone that stated the Islander mostly does work in v5 but the custom Bendix King KLN 90A GPS unit does not, however the person stated there is a possible fix for it but he did not state what that was.

For the American Champion package I was unable to find any information at all on the web as to whether it will work or not.  I have noticed it is an aircraft made by RealAir which is no longer in existence and as far as I know, this is the only RealAir aircraft that still up for sale anywhere on the internet.  I never had a chance to own one of their planes but I would love to own this one if there is a chance it will work.

I really want to try these airplanes and I would like to hear what anyone has to say about getting these aircraft installed and working.  I would greatly appreciate any tips, advice or information regarding installation of these planes.

I have the BN-2 installed in 5.4 and running. As you have found the GPS does no longer work and can be fixed/replaced. You can find the mods with google.

I don't have the American Champion from Flight1 but something very similar on my system. At the moment I'm at work doing night shift but can look tomorrow at home. 

P.S. I found that I have the Decathlon from F1, bought in 2014. Searched my mails. Don't know if I still have the file. Usually I keep all installers but maybe it got lost. I will check.

Edited by blaunarwal
  • Like 1

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

4 hours ago, blaunarwal said:

I have the BN-2 installed in 5.4 and running. As you have found the GPS does no longer work and can be fixed/replaced. You can find the mods with google.

I don't have the American Champion from Flight1 but something very similar on my system. At the moment I'm at work doing night shift but can look tomorrow at home. 

P.S. I found that I have the Decathlon from F1, bought in 2014. Searched my mails. Don't know if I still have the file. Usually I keep all installers but maybe it got lost. I will check.

Good to know the Islander is working ok in v5.4, I will try web searching the GPS fix when I have a chance.

Thank you so much for offering to check that for me, I really appreciate that.  Being that the American Champion package planes are simple types of aircraft, I am fairly confident that it will work ok.  If worse comes to worse, I will fly it in FSX:SE if I have to, I still use it to fly my favorite classics like the A2A B377 Stratocruiser for example.  I enjoy all types of aircraft but I am partial to bush planes like the Scout that's offered in the package, I'm always looking for more cool bush planes to fly.

Edit: I'm also interested in the Lionheart Classic Fleet package I found over here: https://secure.simmarket.com/lionheart-lhc-classics-fleet-fsx-p3d.phtml

It comes with four different aircraft including the Fairchild 24 and the Piper Pacer package that each comes in bush plane variants as well as two other really interesting looking aircraft but they are only officially compatible up to P3Dv3.  These I think have a decent chance of working as well since they are generally simple aircraft.  I contacted the developer by email but received no response which I find interesting since they have recently developed MSFS aircraft.

Edited by Kalnon

@Kalnon I agree, simple aircraft often work, but the gauges need to be .xml and the .mdl at least fsx. I couldn't find the file and the RealAir website https://www.realairsimulations.net/ only has the other planes from them available there. 

I have a registration code but I doubt the servers are there so maybe it was inpossible to install already years before and I deleted the file because of that. I can't remember. But that's an explanation why it is gone. I help myself saving time this way. 😉

So if someone has the file RASScout_FSX_Install.exe, I could try to install it with my code. But I think you can't get it somewhere to buy anyway. There are alternatives. For free you can have the Aeroplane Heaven Cessna 140 or the rather expensive Aerosoft Bushhawk. Both work in P3D5.4.

For the BN-2 i tested it today to be absolutely sure. It works in 5.4. Here are some pics

bCs1ZNq.jpg

I think I installed this dark cockpit for this livery. Usually it's brighter. The GPS is working. I use WAAS. Could not find where to download, it's free. I can certainly help you with that. 

Here's a brighter cockpit with the opened WAAS window, which is needed to switch it on.

kTbik3p.jpg

And here a view from outside

snGW0op.jpg

There's no pbr but still nice I think. I have 50 textures for this bird, since I like it that much.

Dan

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

2 hours ago, blaunarwal said:

@Kalnon I agree, simple aircraft often work, but the gauges need to be .xml and the .mdl at least fsx. I couldn't find the file and the RealAir website https://www.realairsimulations.net/ only has the other planes from them available there. 

I have a registration code but I doubt the servers are there so maybe it was inpossible to install already years before and I deleted the file because of that. I can't remember. But that's an explanation why it is gone. I help myself saving time this way. 😉

So if someone has the file RASScout_FSX_Install.exe, I could try to install it with my code. But I think you can't get it somewhere to buy anyway. There are alternatives. For free you can have the Aeroplane Heaven Cessna 140 or the rather expensive Aerosoft Bushhawk. Both work in P3D5.4.

For the BN-2 i tested it today to be absolutely sure. It works in 5.4. Here are some pics...

Great pics of the Islander, it really does look nice.  From what I've seen from screenshots the 3D modeling looks good and so does the texture work, inside and out even though it is an older model.  I already have the Aeroplane C140 and it's a fantastic airplane, never heard of the Bushhawk, I'll have to check that out.  When it comes to getting older aircraft to work in P3Dv5 it's always a word not allowed shoot, in this case I think it's worth the try because the planes in the package really interest me.  I'm always looking to add more interesting  bush planes and classic planes to my hanger collection.  I think I may get the American Champion package anyway, if it doesn't work, I'll fly it in FSX if I have to.

3 hours ago, Kalnon said:

I think I may get the American Champion package anyway, if it doesn't work, I'll fly it in FSX if I have to.

I'll was interested, if you get it running. Maybe I buy it one more time then ...

• Like 1

I have both working 100% on my P3dv5.4 no problems to get the GPS working on the Islander I copied the one from my Aerosoft PBY so I have everything working on the BN-2 on the American Champion scout there was no need to do anything just a straight install

Edited by airservices
  • Like 2

On 6/14/2023 at 7:16 PM, airservices said:

I have both working 100% on my P3dv5.4 no problems to get the GPS working on the Islander I copied the one from my Aerosoft PBY so I have everything working on the BN-2 on the American Champion scout there was no need to do anything just a straight install

Great to know they both work, I'm going to buy them now and see how it goes.  I don't have the Aerosoft PBY but I do plan to buy it eventually because I also love flying boats, I do own the FSG B314 Professional and it's such a fun aircraft.

Thanks to you all here for your comments, I greatly appreciate it.

@Kalnon Inspired by this thread, I got the American Champion Scout from Flight1. Installation was easy and it works. Only the tool to setup the plane gives me script errors, but this is not sim related. 

I can highly recommend the Aerosoft PBY and also the B314. Both planes are difficult to start. The PBY has also an easy mode. Not sure about the B314. 

Dan

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blaunarwal said:

@Kalnon Inspired by this thread, I got the American Champion Scout from Flight1. Installation was easy and it works. Only the tool to setup the plane gives me script errors, but this is not sim related. 

I can highly recommend the Aerosoft PBY and also the B314. Both planes are difficult to start. The PBY has also an easy mode. Not sure about the B314. 

Dan

I'm glad you are enjoying the Scout.  I now have it installed and it does seem to work fine so far.  I personally love bush planes like this and I'm happy to find that despite being older FSX models, the American Champion package is quite nicely done.  The outside looks good, the VC looks good and the flight model is very good.  I will have to definitely go try the RealAir Duke and see if it might work, I only recently realized it's available for download for free, as well as some other aircraft on their website even though they are out of business.

I definitely will get the PBY, that may be the next plane I purchase.  The B314 does take a little practice to start but once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad, the only pain in the rear is having to hit the "A" key like eight times to quickly get from the pilot seat to the engineer station during the start procedure, then switching back to the pilot seat to continue.  To do the entire procedure you have to do that multiple times for each engine if I remember right.  It also does at least come with a cheat sheet for starting the engines which is very helpful.