Sign in to follow this  
Thunderbolt44

Upgrading Radar Contact from P3Dv4.5 to v5.4

After our recent move to Texas and using RC in P3Dv4.5, I have looked at all the different programs and have transferred to P3Dv5.4.  I think it's great. Now, as always I leave installing RC for last.  I've just finished reading through the Forum and it appears I should be able  to upgrade it.  Presently, I have RC installed for P3Dv4.5.  I have gotten rid of all my 4.5 stuff although I still have RC and can easily open it.  What am I looking forward to here, should I uninstall my 4.5 RC and do a fresh reinstall to my 5.4, or can I use stuff from the 4./5.  I intend to review the RC Manual too, Any general guidance or suggestions are appreciated. 

Mike Nicholson, Jetline Systems PC. 64bit. 

2 minutes ago, Thunderbolt44 said:

What am I looking forward to here, should I uninstall my 4.5 RC and do a fresh reinstall to my 5.4, or can I use stuff from the 4./5. 

Absolutely no need to uninstall and reinstall. Just point RC4 to the folder containing your plans and also to the root folder of v5.4.

Your plans are compatible. What you need to check is FSUIPC. v5 worked with P3D v4 but won’t with v5.

FSUIPC6 works for both and the free version is adequate for RC4.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Don't forget to run MakeRwys after you have all your scenery add-ons installed into your P3Dv5 installation, then rebuild your scenery database in RC4.  Make sure to run a recent version of MakeRwys if you have any scenery installed via the xml method, as older versions will only see sceneries listed in the scenery.cfg files.

P3Dv5 includes a fairly significant rework of the airfields, and some of the ATC freqs changed as a result, so you should also manually copy the f4.csv file created by MakeRwys to your radar contact ..\data folder after running MakeRwys.  For whatever reason this doesn't happen automatically when updating the RC4 scenery database as it does with the runway file.

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Hi Ray and Bob,

I was happy to see you pretty much told me what I thought might be the way to go.  I had installed both FSUIPC6 and knew I would have to point RC4 to the plans and also to the root folder in V5.4.  I did this and took a short 350 nm IFR Radar Contact cross country.  It worked perfectly.  Before this flight, I had run Make Runways and updated it in 5.4 and Radar Contact.  I manually copied the f4./cvs after running Make Rwys to the radar contact data folder.  Its always a relief to get it working.  It sure makes one a happy camper.  I'm still not too relaxed with this moving of the f4./cvs file.  Never even heard about it before.

By the way, can you give me a link so I can download a RC Manual.  I had it, but must have deleted it while getting rid of my 4.5 stuff. 

Thanks again, Mike Nicholson

Glad you’re up and running Mike. I have RC4 on a separate PC and use a batch file to copy the f4.csv across after every run of MakeRwys.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hello Bob and Ray, 

Initially, after I had replied in the Monday response above, I flew several IFR cross countries and everything was working fine.  Then I decided to copy the F4 file from Make Runways and install to the RC4 Data file.  This actually installed into the F4x Data file as a .cvs file. On the next flight, I got to RC handing me off to departure, and it would not bring up the required radio freq and RC froze up. 

From that point on, it has just gone from bad to worse.  Let me try to explain where I am now.  I had rerun the Make Runwys .exe file. I have not added any additional scenery add ons and don't plan to. I copied the F4 file and dropped it into the rcv4x Data file. Now, when I try to open P3D v5, I get a window reflecting "the code execution cannot proceed because the fe.dll file was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem".  Not sure if I am being told to reinstall Radar Contact or reinstall P3Dv5.  On top of that, just before this latest happened, I got a Runtime error 6 window.

So, I've dug myself a hole I can't seem to dig out of.  I'm tempted just going back to P3D v4.5.  Ran RC for a long time and had a lot of add ons too.  In addition, 5.4 did  shut down because of a VRAM problem during my trying to straighten my mess out.  Never had that problem with 4.5.  So, as always, any ideas will be appreciated, Mike Nicholson.

Jetline Systems, GB Z690I Aorus Ultra DDR4jkl, Intel Core i7 12700K, 5.0GHHz 12-Core, 64 GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz RAM Ultra,    8GB Nividia GeForce RTX 3070 Graphics.

OK - I've run a Repair installation of P3D v5  and P3D is running fine now although I am not a fan of their ATC.  My current problem is Radar Contact won't load it's flightplan due to a Runtime 6 problem.  I'm working on that now.  Mike Nicholson