Sign in to follow this  
Pete F

Loading scenarios?

I haven't used P3D very often, but do want to use it for work when flying the real thing, so could use some help.

This is simply a tool for me and I want to be able to reposition the aircraft (Aerosoft A330) quickly from one part of the world to another in order to look at different approaches etc. to familiarise myself with the port/procedure/scenario. I tried using the flight planning function, which did plan a reasonable route, albeit not the one I wanted. The fuel was completely wrong but somewhat immaterial at this stage. 

I couldn't find a way to quickly position the aircraft to a particular point on that route at the correct speed/altitude/etc. It also appears that the flight plan isn't carried into the FM, which is a bit disappointing if it's not finger problem my end (which it most likely is). 

Some examples that I may want to do now are:

Position at point GIRNA (Bay of Bengal) FL400 at cruise speed/configuration. This would be a common requirement; position in cruise at a particular waypoint (Lat/Long inputs would be painful to put in each time)

Position at FAF for ILS VOMM RWY07

Position LAROD for RNP RWY 04 VCBI

Position OBGIS for RNP 20L WSSS

etc etc. Hopefully that provides an idea of the use. In other words, probably similar to Lockheed Martin's original intent, as a training tool. => Freeze; Reposition to waypoint/altitude/speed; program FM and setup aircraft; unfreeze; fly approach/missed approach; rinse and repeat.

I'd be grateful if anyone could provide any assistance or links to tutorials etc. I know how to quickly program the FM, as I have many thousands of hours on the real aircraft, but putting my scenarios into the P3D side of things is giving grief. It looks like I may have to sit down for a week or so and figure this out, but work is super busy at the moment so any assistance I could get to flatten that curve would be hugely appreciated.

8 minutes ago, polosim said:

Highly recommend, this is what you need to meet your training requirements.

https://www.fsipanel.com/product/fsipanel-2020-for-p3d-v4-v5-advanced-edition/

Ok, YES!!!! That looks exactly what I need. The screens shown look very much like a basic version of the sim instructor screens on real simulators.

So just to confirm. If I purchase the FSiPanel app/add-on or whatever it's classed as, that's all I'll need to load the scenario examples I mentioned? It does sound like the precise solution ie being able to load a specific location/fuel/etc and just setup the aircraft from there.

I do not have the Aerosoft A330 but I do have the Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319 package and I just use the MCDU to enter the flight plan.  In the version I have, the MCDU is close to fully simulated so I do not believe using the built in P3D flight planner will work with an Aerosoft Airbus.  It should be the same way for the A330.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kalnon said:

I do not have the Aerosoft A330 but I do have the Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319 package and I just use the MCDU to enter the flight plan.  In the version I have, the MCDU is close to fully simulated so I do not believe using the built in P3D flight planner will work with an Aerosoft Airbus.  It should be the same way for the A330.

Yes I agree. How do you position yourself somewhere in that FM waypoint string though? So far I've literally started at an airport, loaded the FM as if it were real life, and then flown the route in real time. That gets old real quick! I've saved different points so I could re-position to them, and that worked well for local flying. Now however I want to just IP myself around different ports like we do in the real sims.

I'm in the process of buying the suggested app above and will see how that works out

3 minutes ago, Pete F said:

Yes I agree. How do you position yourself somewhere in that FM waypoint string though? So far I've literally started at an airport, loaded the FM as if it were real life, and then flown the route in real time. That gets old real quick! I've saved different points so I could re-position to them, and that worked well for local flying. Now however I want to just IP myself around different ports like we do in the real sims.

I'm in the process of buying the suggested app above and will see how that works out

Ok I see what you mean now, you want to be able to instantly teleport your plane to the waypoint you want, correct?  In P3D there is something called Slew Mode.  Slew mode allows you to quickly reposition your aircraft, this is the only way that I know of.  Unfortunately I never use it so I don't fully understand how it works.  Maybe someone else here can explain further.

Yeah slew is clunky and a bit of a last resort in the real sim to be honest. You may slew a short distance, but not like I want to.

I've purchased the recommended FSIPanel, just trying to get it to work. It seems to be missing something. FSUIPC whatever that is. It's also saying no compatible aircraft, although Aerosoft A330 was on the list. Just working through it now

44 minutes ago, Pete F said:

seems to be missing something. FSUIPC

http://www.fsuipc.com

you can download it for free, no activation required for use FSI Panel. Be sure to download P3D compatible. ( FSUIPC 6 )

Edited by polosim
  • Like 1

Ok, I was getting the error message in FSiPanel "FSUIPC free or paid version is required for this aircraft. please instal it"

I've downloaded a "demo" version from Simmarket and everything seems to be working, but honestly am way out of my depth with this type of thing. I don't normally even use a Windows machine so this is all very foreign. Is the demo time limited and should I buy this app?

I've just done a couple of re-positions to test this and FSiPanel really was a great recommendation. Thanks the very quick replies here. I'll have a better play with it tomorrow but I think it's going to do much of what I wanted.

I do see my Nav database is out of date, but that's something for later and it's not too bad. 

3 minutes ago, Pete F said:

the demo time limited and should I buy this app?

No time limit limitation but FSUIPC full paid version has a lot, lot of options for multiple purposes, maybe for now,  you don’t use any of this options so you’re be OK with free version.

• Like 1

Ok thanks. 

One thing I couldn't get to work is: Select Fix => Select STAR. That does nothing

Pilot Custom WP => New WP => Pick NavAID/Fix => [new window] Search. The number of fixes it's finding is extremely limited. eg currently shooting RNP approaches into VCBI and it will find BIKOK (on STAR) but not much else. It does see KAT vor

42 minutes ago, Pete F said:

number of fixes it's finding is extremely limited.

Apparently, you need to update your database.

spacer.png

Ok  thanks, I'm surprised about that as my database runs 17Jun21 - 15Jul21

Do I need to subscribe to Navigraph for that?

47 minutes ago, Pete F said:

Do I need to subscribe to Navigraph for that?

If you require the most complete and up-to-date database, it will be necessary to subscribe to Navigraph. ( FSI Panel & A330 Pro )

Ok subscribed to that now, and all seems to be working. I don't need charts so no idea if they're working as I use my own and won't ever look at theirs. 

FWIW FSiPanel has a bug that causes it to crash when altitude is manually selected at a waypoint. In this case it was the same as the existing altitude.

The IPs it provides are often a bit ordinary, but we get that in the real sims sometimes too, and a second IP will normally fix that. Developer was going for ultra-reality there it seems 😉

I only have a couple more hours to play with this before i need to go do the real thing, but it's certainly been very valuable