Sign in to follow this  
iMoveQuick

Grasping in the dark (Prepar3d v5.4)

Hi everyone!

As the title already states I've honestly been grasping in the dark in regards to finding a solution to the CTD's I'm having that are leaving no trace anywhere. Therefore I would like to reach out to the this forum to see if anyone has any tips or things I could try. Below I've noted down my PC specification and also the list of addons I'm using. Generally my short haul flights are fine, but when crossing the atlantic towards the west I usually get a crash when closing in on land again.

As I said I don't have any logs as the sim just closes and no crash dump is provided. 

PC Specs:

• Windows 11
  • i5 13600KF (Base speed)
  • AMD RX6800 (Base speed) 
  • 32GB RAM (XMP enabled, no overclock)

Addons:

• Active Sky (Latest Version)
  • AIGTech - AI Manager
  • AIGTech - AI Traffic Controller
  • AviaServer (To control FMC's)
  • Chaseplane
  • Navigraph (Charts & Simlink)
  • PACX
  • PRO-ATC
  • REX Sky Force
  • All general ORBX sceneries. (No airports, just defaults)
  • FreeMeshX

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

It is possible that it could be an AI aircraft starting up or a scenery item as you close in on the land. However, it could be excess graphics settings which can be defaulted by renaming the Prepar3D.cfg so that when P3D starts it will create a new one. That's possibly the first thing to try but remember to set up the jobscheduler correctly and ensuring you have the latest GPU driver (see below).

A logical process of elimination is key to problem solving. If I can run the stock sim/stock aircraft with no issues and again with adjusted graphics settings as well, I would progress to adding scenery and retest, addon mesh and retest, then adding the traffic and retest, and so on a step at a time.

I would do that by way of a fresh install - first uninstalling P3D (from control panel) uninstall the client first but retaining the license, then uninstall P3D. Then I would rename all the P3D folders by adding "old" onto the folder names, including the "\Documents\Prepar3D v5 Add-ons" (which can be renamed back later) folder before installing P3D. I make sure to run P3D to the simulation and close before continuing with anything else. I leave the sim with stock settings to start with. I would then set up a flight typical of causing the CTD and see if that works OK. Then add scenery and retest etc. I would do a save mid-flight a little way before the CTD approaches so I can restart from that point each time. I hope that helps with some ideas.

I have included a link to the GPU drivers and the recommended jobscheduler settings for HT enabled below:

Latest driver for the GPU: AMD Drivers and Support | AMD

Recommended jobscheduler settings for HT enabled i5 13600KF

i5 13600KF 14 core CPU with 6 P cores and 8 E cores with HT enabled 20 LPs

HT Enabled 6 P cores and 8 E cores = 14 cores with 20 LPs
13,12,11,10,09,08,07,06,05,04,03,02,01,00=core number
 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1,11,11,11,01,01,01=AffinityMask = 1048533
 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1,11,11,11,01,01,01=P3DCoreAffinityMask = 1048533
 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,00,00,00,00,00,01=MainThreadScheduler = 0
 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,00,00,00,00,01,00=RenderThreadScheduler = 1
 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,00,00,00,01,00,00=FrameWorkerThreadScheduler = 2
[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=1048533
P3DCoreAffinityMask=1048533
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=1
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=2

Edited by SteveW
  • Like 2

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Thank you for your feedback, it’s much appreciated! I’m still holding back on re-installing my sim just yet. 

I will implement the affinitymask settings that you’ve mentioned. Other than that I’ll straft to make a plan to test each addon to see who could be causing the problems.

• Like 1

Good luck!

After very extensive testing the conclusion is that FreeMeshX was the addon that was causing the unknown CTD. I've adjusted with a random video on YouTube the order of my scenery library and now my last test flight made it succesfully to TOD. To be clear, this was actually what was instructed in the Readme file, but never understood it.

I was intially very skeptical that this was the problem, but I'm happy that I've found the issue.

Back to flying again!

Edited by iMoveQuick

OK. Well done!