Sign in to follow this  
Lotek

P3Dv5.4 installation problems

Hi all,

I have returned to flight sim after about 1.5 years. I have reinstalled my P3D, but the problem is that it always installs on my C drive, altough I specificly select a folder on my much larger E drive. I know it needs a  minimum of 35 GB on the C drive, but in my PC settings, under the apps section I see that all of the four components are installed on the C drive, wich is substantially more, than 35 GB.

If you know a soloution, I am glad to hear it!

Good flying to you all!spacer.png

6 hours ago, Lotek said:

Hi all,

I have returned to flight sim after about 1.5 years. I have reinstalled my P3D, but the problem is that it always installs on my C drive, altough I specificly select a folder on my much larger E drive. I know it needs a  minimum of 35 GB on the C drive, but in my PC settings, under the apps section I see that all of the four components are installed on the C drive, wich is substantially more, than 35 GB.

If you know a soloution, I am glad to hear it!

Good flying to you all!

Hey @Lotek,

Just because the Windows Apps says it is filtering by C drive and showing the P3D installs doesn't mean P3D is actually installed on C drive.

Likely the Windows Apps listing is failing to work properly due to the P3D installer (the msi installer files) not setting an "InstallLocation" registry key, thus the Apps filter option won't correctly filter.

If you right click on your desktop P3D icon and select "Open File Location", you should find the explorer window opens at the actual path where P3D has been installed, and as long as that's Ok all is fine.

The 35 GB on C drive will relate to the installer packages as Windows keeps a copy if the msi installer files on C for things like repairs and uninstalls.

If you were to manually set each of the P3D "InstallLocation" registry keys to the path where P3D is actually installed you'll find the Apps filter by drive function will then work as you'd expect.

For reference the root registry key is,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Where the actual registry keys are recorded under a GUID number value, try searching the root key for Prepar3D v5 to find the packages.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

12 hours ago, Rogen said:

Hey @Lotek,

Just because the Windows Apps says it is filtering by C drive and showing the P3D installs doesn't mean P3D is actually installed on C drive.

Likely the Windows Apps listing is failing to work properly due to the P3D installer (the msi installer files) not setting an "InstallLocation" registry key, thus the Apps filter option won't correctly filter.

If you right click on your desktop P3D icon and select "Open File Location", you should find the explorer window opens at the actual path where P3D has been installed, and as long as that's Ok all is fine.

The 35 GB on C drive will relate to the installer packages as Windows keeps a copy if the msi installer files on C for things like repairs and uninstalls.

If you were to manually set each of the P3D "InstallLocation" registry keys to the path where P3D is actually installed you'll find the Apps filter by drive function will then work as you'd expect.

For reference the root registry key is,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Where the actual registry keys are recorded under a GUID number value, try searching the root key for Prepar3D v5 to find the packages.

Cheers

Thanks, all clear now! 😉