Sign in to follow this  
Guest mau01

Acceleration crashes upon accessing menu bar

>>Gizmo, thanks a lot for reporting your findings, as well as>>the extent of your investigation. This sure broadens the>>possible sources of the problem. I too wonder how the beta>>testing missed this one. I can only conclude that the>problem>>must be a confluence of several factors, only one of which>now>>appears to be an nVidia card.>>Why is there always the "assumption" that something>slipped past the beta testers?>>Beta testers report problems. The developers (ACES) either fix>them or not. That's their call.>>After the beta cycle (however many there are) is completed,>beta testers don't see the final results until everyone else>does...Its a legitimate question, Bill ... I notice you don't own an Nvidea card or at least list one in your sig! but like it or not ... customers are going to post things as they find them, please stop criticizing legit comments, it just causes grief.One beta tester has already commented that there was not enough testers this time around able to commit to the SP2/Acceleration/DX10 stuff, either because of other commitments or because of a short fall of testers with Vista or DX10 hardware, the bottom line is, Aces said there was a 20% increase using the DX10 preview, that's not the experience of the majority here, you must see that.Finally, don't get me wrong ... I love FSX, have played all in the series from FS2 onwards, the beta testers obviously helped Aces do a wonderful job with SP1, but if something is currently wrong we should be able to discuss it, and if there was a shortfall in SP2 DX10 testers, then this should be discussed too.Thanks.

Guest JIMJAM

Well I just loaded the latest version of Nhancer and just had a lockup so thats not it.Im scared to install the latest directx version or driver.Seems to mostly deal with dx10 issure and hardware.Im getting this strange feeling MS wants us to ditch xp and move to vista.

-SNIP->>Why is there always the "assumption" that something>slipped past the beta testers?>>Beta testers report problems. The developers (ACES) either fix>them or not. That's their call.>>After the beta cycle (however many there are) is completed,>beta testers don't see the final results until everyone else>does...>So, was this problem "reported"?I can't believe that something this blatantly PORKED couldhave NOT been seen in the beta.If it was reported then shame on ACES for allowing the productto ship without addressing something that renders several inflightoptions useless, not to mention compoundimg the possibility ofPORKING the FSX registration during a CTD ( as has happened to me )and putting the user back at the mercy of the questionable activationprocess....It's also rather strange that no one from ACES has commented onthis particular problem...at least not in any of the forumsI read and have seen posts concerning the menuCTD issue. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

>Well I just loaded the latest version of Nhancer and just had>a lockup so thats not it.>Im scared to install the latest directx version or driver.>Seems to mostly deal with dx10 issure and hardware.>Im getting this strange feeling MS wants us to ditch xp and>move to vista.I've just installed the November DX9 update as well on XP and Vista as part of my ongoing system maintenance.I honestly don't think this is a ploy from MS to get XP ditched in preference of Vista though, from what I've read, things are better on XP for FSX and Acceleration/SP2, so long as you discount the DX10 preview option for Vista as borked, which is what it seems to be for one reason or another just now?Lets keep things in perspective.For the record, I own XP32/ XP64 and Vista 64 Ultimate (as well as DX10 hardware) XP32/Vista64 dual boot on this machine and XP64 on another.Cheers.

Guest JIMJAM

What a mess.Ok I stopped fooling with the menu when flying till this is sorted.Im flying the F-18 and press a key on the crt. CRAAAAAAASHHHH.Ugly lock up...Lets not get this thread locked and if Im flaming the flames I will stop.Im giving it a few days then back to pre acceleration for me.

Guest fsxmissionguy

JimJam,A few questions ... but first:I run Windows XP SP2 with an NVidia 7950 using 6.14.10.9381 drivers. Thus, FSX/Acceleration is using DX9. I have one add-on aircraft (the Alphasim Merlin) and have installed one add-on program (FSRecorder) in this build.I participated in the beta of Acceleration and did not see this problem, and saw nobody else reporting such a problem.Can you provide details like this listing third-party software you may have installed, and what graphics versions you're using? Also, it would be interesting to know whether you have attempted a pristine reinstall. If you have, and are still having the problem, then I'd suspect your video drivers ... if you are using anything other than 6.14.10.9381 with an Nvidia 7950 GX2, then that's the most likely culprit. If you haven't ... that's where I'd start, even if it means having to re-install a lot of third-party apps.

Guest JIMJAM

Thanks for the advice.I am at the point where I am deciding if what acceleration has added it worth the hassle to do a complete reinstal with alot of addons.My guess is as soon as I hit delete, someone will solve or fix the problem.I still have fs9, just finished Bioshock and getting ready to reload Command and Conquer. So I can do without all the FSX drama for a while. Thanks again:D

I would question the source of "there was not enough testers this time around...etc.) as a real beta tester is not allowed to comment on the beta testing process due to the nda. Therefore I would question if this is a "legit" comment to base a further argument upon.Then there is the logic of what is essentially being proposed :... in the phrase "the beta testers missed this"-there are really two logical options:1) A given problem did not happen to the beta testers-hence why they "missed it". It is pretty hard to report something that does not happen....2) A given problem did happen, was reported- but was ignored.If number 1 is valid-then the beta testers did do their job.If number 2 is valid-why would a company have beta testers in the first place? Bill is correct -A developer either fixesthem or not. That's their call. Most companies use beta testers however to find just such problems so they can fix them-otherwise why bother?Now what does make logical sense to me generically-is since a beta team is extremely small proportionally compared to a world wide market-that issues that may not arise in a beta test situation may emerge later because of the vastly greater numbers. We see these with all products-including operating systems. This is why even though a rigorous beta test is performed on most products today, we see patches. How many patches were there for windows xp for instance?-and can you imagine how big that beta team was?I don't think anyone is advocating not discussing a problem or legit complaints. Placing blame on certain parties though-some based on rumor, does not seem the most efficient thing to do to solve that problem .By the way-I own a nvidia card-a 7600 GS-I have never seen this problem.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

>I would question the source of "there was not enough testers>this time around...etc.) as a real beta tester is not allowed>to comment on the beta testing process due to the nda.Why confuse and obfuscate things? A MS Aces beta tester did mention there were not enough DX10 beta testers for many reasons, the NDA was lifted, they were allowed to talk, if they were not allowed to say negative things on the beta and post beta process about lack of DX10 testing, then that will be addressed soon I guess.The fact remains, an Aces beta tester has told of the lack of DX10 testing amongst the community (for several reasons) DX10 people with hardware and software OS's to suit are in a minority. I can fully understand why some testers only chose DX9 and XP 32 as their holy grail (Vista hatred is like a religion, and that is sad but certainly extends to current FSX beta testers)I've even seen Bill leaming tell others that a DX10 card is a waste of money on here, can provide a link if needed ... now if that is the advice of beta testers of Acceleration/SP2/DX10 ... then where do we stand?All I see is riddles and contradictions just now.I love FS and FSX, but hate double standards, where did that Aces promised 20% performance increase go in DX10 preview? where did it come from? they must have had some sort of DX10 card and driver package along with other hardware to substantiate this ... what was it?I've splashed out a very lot of money on Microsoft OS's, Flight sims and last but not least, hardware over the years ... I'm a smhuck nobody, but I hope my voice still counts.These are honest and legitimate questions from a long time FS enthusiast.

Guest jrobert

I too have the same problem with FSX/Acceleration. Sometimes when I access a menu item (doesn't matter what)... CTD. It's really annoying, but at least this problem is caused by a certain user action. Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to belittle the problem but this issue isn't as severe as say FSX randomly crashing to the desktop for no apparent reason. (Which happened to me when I was using a nVidia-based motherboard)ACES, if you're reading this: Please fix the CTDs when accessing the menu. ThanksMy system:Processor: Intel Core2 Duo 6700 (2.667 GHz)Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L/S3LMemory: Corsair DDR2 XMS2 2GB (2x 1GB matched pair)Video: nVidia Geforce 7600 GT (256MB, Driver version 163.71)Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZSStorage: Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM SATAOptical: Liteon DVD-+RW LightscribePower Supply: Athena Power 550WOS: Windows XP Professional SP2, Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

Guest griss0m

a question to ACES, what system specs and graphics driver were you using for the screenies of DX10 we saw? it appears that configuration works, i'd be interested to find out how it differs from mine!

>a question to ACES, >>what system specs and graphics driver were you using for the>screenies of DX10 we saw? it appears that configuration works,>i'd be interested to find out how it differs from mine!I'd love to know that too, especially the config that gave a 20% increase using DX10 preview as opposed to the harsh reality of massive performance drops on finely tuned enthusiast DX10 boards and Intel C2D CPU's using Vista.

Still no reply.I'm losing confidence with Aces by the minute :(

Back to the topic of the nvidia 79xx series crashing on menu operations, mine was as well. A 7900GTO on a totally clean XP and FSX install. It didn't crash in Vista though, was just a stuttery mess instead.It also gave lots of other issues such as graphical artifacts on the new buildings in central Istanbul and always had that old blue blocks on the water at night problem in RTM and Sp1. I just replaced it with an 8800 ultra 768mb. Problem gone. Not a single crash or even glitch from menu operations or anything else in 48 hours. Blue water blocks are gone too. ;)Seems it's a definite incompatibility between Sp2 and the 79xx series of cards, if not others. Drivers didn't help at all, tried every single one between 91.47 and 169.01 (including 93.81) using driver cleaners in between each iteration. Never had any crashing problems in rtm or sp1, so this is new to Sp2. Just wanted to keep this thread at the forefront, it's going to be a showstopper for a lot of people. So anyway, there is a cure. Unfortunately my version of the cure set me back around $700. :(I must like this sim or something haha.

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

>Back to the topic of the nvidia 79xx series crashing on menu>operations, mine was as well. A 7900GTO on a totally clean XP>and FSX install. It didn't crash in Vista though, was just a>stuttery mess instead.>>It also gave lots of other issues such as graphical artifacts>on the new buildings in central Istanbul and always had that>old blue blocks on the water at night problem in RTM and Sp1.>>>I just replaced it with an 8800 ultra 768mb. Problem gone. Not>a single crash or even glitch from menu operations or anything>else in 48 hours. Blue water blocks are gone too. ;)>>Seems it's a definite incompatibility between Sp2 and the 79xx>series of cards, if not others. Drivers didn't help at all,>tried every single one between 91.47 and 169.01 (including>93.81) using driver cleaners in between each iteration. Never>had any crashing problems in rtm or sp1, so this is new to>Sp2. >>Just wanted to keep this thread at the forefront, it's going>to be a showstopper for a lot of people. So anyway, there is a>cure. Unfortunately my version of the cure set me back around>$700. :(>>I must like this sim or something haha.So SP2 is broke with 7 series and 8 series Nvidia cards, not to mention DX10 ... I'll ask again.What hardware did Aces use to get a 20% performance increase in the DX10 preview? what hardware, what drivers, its a simple question!!!!