Sign in to follow this  
brucewtb

System upgrade - DDR4 vs DDR5

With frame gen in MSFS, a 4080 or 4090 makes the most sense.  For MSFS, the 4090 was the greatest upgrade I've ever done in flight sim, at least in recent years.

You mentioned MSFS so I wouldn't even consider a 3080ti.

You may be just as well off with a 4080.  MSFS will use all of the available vram, so that's why you're seeing max usage.  I will say though, with a 4090, I'm typically still only seeing about half the vram in use.  I run at 4K.  I need to load up FlyTampa EHAM and see how much vram is being used.  Or iniBuilds KJFK.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

same.  FG was the biggest upgrade I've had in recent years.  Especially when combined with real (not just compatible) Gsync.  When I did my current build I decided back then to stick with DDR4 3600 memory.  If I were building today I'd go with DDR5, just because that's where the future gains will be made.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

On 10/13/2023 at 3:12 AM, Bob Scott said:

Make sure you measure it anyway.  I have been using large, full-size Coolermaster HAF932 and HAF-X cases for years, and was very unpleasantly surprised to find the ASUS 4090 GPU I got during the height of the shortages was *far* too long to fit into those big cases due to the placement of the non-removeable hard drive cages.  Most of the 4000-series cards are truly ginormous.  I was able to fit an nVidia 4090 FE GPU into the HAF cases, which I did for my MSFS/XPlane machine, but I had to very reluctantly go to a different case for my 13900K/4090 P3D build.

My previous build had a Coolermaster HAF case but that now encloses my secondary PC used for web browsing only. The build I propose to upgrade has a Corsair 750D case and there is about 15cm clearance between the current 3080ti GPU and the two intake fans at the front of the case.  There is one other intake fan in the base which draws in cool air from a tiled floor (a natural heat sink) and an exhaust fan in the rear.  The top has the two fan 115i pro AIO radiator.  I hope this will be enough to cool a gen 14 CPU and a series 4000 GPU but we will see.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."