Sign in to follow this  
kenny584

IE direct to SD+

Hello again.

In an earlier reply to me you mentioned that an SD+ could be mapped directly by using "S" and entering the relevant information into the text box. I would like to try this with the C700 Engine fuel and start buttons. However, as a beginner, I'm struggling to know what to use in the text box. I have opened the Behaviours window in FS2020 and can see all of the info for the left side fuel button (Button 1). The fuel Run/Stop buttons have an acrylic cover that needs to be opened before and closed after the button push, so it is complicated!!

I have a script that I downloaded into AAO and I have it working fine, but I would like to learn to map directly to my SD+. However, there is a ton of information in Behaviours and I don't know what it all means yet. Are you able to take a look at the AAO script for the Citation Longitude and give me some pointers please?

I fully understand that you are busy with stuff and I don't expect you to hold my hand for every button and switch, but I would like to get a handle on how this works.

Regards...Kenny

14 minutes ago, kenny584 said:

I have a script that I downloaded into AAO and I have it working fine,

If that script is working, why not call it directly from the SD+? Type "K:" Value: "scriptgroup-scriptname"

So if your script is in the group "presley" and the name of the script is "elvis", you select type "K:" for your event on the StreamDeck and enter "presley-elvis" into the textbox. That will call the script when you press the button.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Ah, wow. That's a new angle to think about. From what you say, I'm assuming that I would need AAO running in the background. I've discovered that I do need it running for the SD+ to 'work' at my present level of knowledge. You said in one of your earlier replies that I could map directly into the SD+ without AAO. Perhaps though I have misunderstood what you meant.

Cheers...kenny.

edit, my apologies for asking about AAO running in the background. A simple test shows that it does. That direct entry of the script is working fine. Thanks for the info.

Edited by kenny584

15 minutes ago, kenny584 said:

You said in one of your earlier replies that I could map directly into the SD+ without AAO.

No, you misunderstood that part. The AAO StreamDeck plugin requires the AAO WebAPI - as it says in the PDF that comes with it. When that connection doesn't work (see the WebAPI troubleshooting guide PDF), and/or AAO is not running or not connected to the sim, nothing will work on the SD.
What I meant is that you can type RPN code directly into AAO actions on the StreamDeck (instead of using K: events etc.) so you don't have to write a script in AAO. But that doesn't change anything regarding the general operations, it just makes it easier to share your StreamDeck profile with others.

If you create your SD Actions with other plugins, then different rules apply of course. But in the AAO realm that is what it is.

Also - AxisAndOhs can do so much more than just power the StreamDeck. The AAO StreamDeck Plugin is just a demo of what you can do with the AAO WebAPI - it was never a feature of the app, just a hobby project of mine...which is why the plugin isn't part of the retail AAO package.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Righto, I'm overthinking things right now and being overwhelmed by the amount of information that is required. I'm a older generation retired firefighter and more of a hands on person than a thinking techy type of guy like yourself. I've looked at the pdf but not really understood about the WebAPI. I'm just trying to make things work in the C700 without the mouse. I've also got two 10" touchscreens and using the POPM (Pop Out Panel Manager) to display the PFD/MFD on them. Boy, so much to learn!! I've built myself a mini cockpit incorporating all my hardware. Oh to be clever....😵

Regards...Kenny.

The architecture is actually quite simple. As the StreamDeck all by itself cannot talk to the simulator, it needs a plugin to do that. There are several plugins out there for that purpose, and each comes with their own logic regarding the StreamDeck actions (= the buttons). They are all completely different and they all work differently too. 

For AAO, as the application has a web based API, and the whole StreamDeck is based on web technology too, it seemed like a logical step to write an SD plugin that talks to AAO - and takes advantage of all the things that the app can do, like scripting or access to simulator assets that are normally not available to the outside world (like the BVars or IEs).

I would strongly suggest to at least browse through the AAO manual (click on the question mark on the main window), to make sure that you are aware of all the things that the app can do (=what it was actually made for). The StreamDeck really isn't the main thing about AAO, not by a long shot.

Also, be mindful that many talented simmers are publishing AAO StreamDeck profiles for various aircraft on flightsim.to that you can just download and adapt to your use case.

LORBY-SI

28 minutes ago, kenny584 said:

Oh to be clever

I have been writing code for more than 40 years. This has nothing to do with clever, it is just what I do.

I am aware that the learning curve is steep, but that is just how things are with the current simulators - and especially with MSFS. With this sim, the aircraft developers no longer adhere to the SDK or any standards, they all just do whatever they want. If you manage to get one StreamDeck button working in a certain way, you can bet that it will not work with the next aircraft that you fly - because the developer decided to do his own thing again. That is why it is so important to understand how all of this actually works. Nobody can or should learn all those variables or events, that would be pointless. Next aircraft will just utilize totally different ones. There are only a handful of "patterns" for external controls, and one can definitely learn those. Trail&error is not a recommended method and will only lead to frustration and/or anger.

LORBY-SI

Yeah, I know, just different paths in life. I'm trying hard to make sense of it all, though. I have browsed the manual and also have scripts from Flightsim.to. It's just that my level of understanding is below my level of expectation!! Thanks again for all of your help.

Best Regards...Kenny.