Sign in to follow this  
rooster hancock 2003

Bad night sky help please.

Hi All.

My topic title says it all. I am very happy overall with my setup, but at night I seem to get muti coloured layers in the sky and green shimmering clouds which reflect a bit into the cockpit of which ever aircraft I'm flying. I have a RTX3090ti card and I use  Envdir, Envtex and Envshade, also Active sky and Cloud art all in P3d v5.4. I'm sorry, but being an old duffer I don't know how to do screenshots for you. I'm guessing I've gone wrong in my settings somewhere , but don't know where. Any thoughts on recommended/correct settings to solve this problem would be so appreciated.

Thanks in advance and best regards. 

Edited by rooster hancock 2003

Malcolm Hancock

Taking screenshots in P3Dv5 is very easy:  You just press the V button, and the screenshots are then saved in the folder  "C:\Users\[Your name]\Pictures\Prepar3D v5 Files"

1 hour ago, rooster hancock 2003 said:

Ok I've taken some pictures as per instructions above, but they won't copy and paste to the reply section here.

You need to use an external image hosting website to upload your image files. I recommend imgur. Here is how you can do it:

- Go to https://imgur.com/

- On the upper-left, click on the green button "+ New Post"

- Upload your image (you can use drag & drop).

- After uploading, you will see four different links on the right-hand side. You need to copy one of them (I think it's the one that starts with ...) and paste it here.

Give it a try.

ok so I think I've done it.     https://imgur.com/a/WJE0tWd  I think the pictures do not reproduce what I'm seeing as strongly but hopefully you will all get an idea. I would just say again, that my day time textures look just fine and I'm very happy with them.

Thanks again for any help to resolve this.

Edited by rooster hancock 2003

Malcolm Hancock

Let me upload the images for you in a way that everyone can see them right here:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have looked at these images, and to be honest, I don't see anything wrong with the night sky or the textures. Can you pinpoint on one of the pictures what is wrong?

Maybe you see the textures flashing green?  That could be a reflection of the strobe lights. Just a thought...

Edited by Afterburner

I was afraid they would not show what I'm seeing well. What I'm seeing is really quite green and flickering. I have done some more shots which I hope shows a little better. Sorry I don't know how to show them as you do Afterburner and thank you for your kind help/support. Others are welcome as well of course. 👍😉 https://imgur.com/a/uEkGFzS

Malcolm Hancock

I think I see what you mean. Do you have "Enhanced Atmosphere" (EA) enabled in the graphics settings?

Enhanced Atmosphere delivers very good-looking results during daytime, but it is a little bugged during dusk/dawn and night. The sky at night is not fully dark, and there is a noticeable visibility layer that corresponds to what you are describing. The sky textures by Envtex do not work with EA on. You can try lower the cloud brightness at night in the Envshade settings and see how it affects. Can you deactivate EA for test purpose and check if you still see the graphical artifacts?

Hi. Turning EA on and off made no difference, however turning down cloud brightness at night has helped just a little, thanks for the suggestion Afterburner. There is still a little way to go though. Anyone with any further thoughts welcome

Malcolm Hancock

I see. If turning EA on and off made no difference, then EA is not the culprit here.

Another thing to consider is your monitor brightness and Gamma settings. On my monitor, for example, the night looks good - I hardly see the issue that you have described. I am wondering how others perceive the images. By the way, if you want to make the screenshots from imgur visible here, right-click on the image on imgur, click on "Copy image link" (I can do that using Microsoft edge, I am not sure how it's called with other browsers), then on the lower left of the area where you are writing the post here on AVSIM, click on "Insert image from URL", paste the link, and the image should be visible. Give it a try!

So maybe your monitor brightness setting is a little high?  Are you using Envplus by chance?  If yes, you can reduce the cloud brightness at night even further to attain a result that is to your liking.

• Upvote 1

Hey Afterburner, you were right and I think I may be cured!!! It seems it was my monitor settings which is a LG 4K TV. I reset the settings to default and tweaked a little from there and although there is a little hint of the old problem, it is very much better now, to a level I can live with.....hooray!!! Afterburner, I want to thank you for your kindness and support, sticking with me, and getting me through my problem. You are a star Sir!

Malcolm Hancock